Care with today's situation

Josh60

Feb 27, 2018
Sheffield
Has anyone got advice about the care situation during this time with the Corona virus and having to self isolate. My wife has Alzheimer's and was diagnosed four and a half years ago. We are both elderly, my wife is 85 yrs and I am 81 yrs. I have someone come in to look after her for three hours most days except the weekends to give me a break. We are going to be in situation that we are going to have self isolate for the next three months but I don't know what to do about the lady that comes in to give me th break that I need so much.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
If you click the following link it should take you to a sub-forum where all aspects of the current situation are being discussed. I hope that helps.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My partner has care workers in every day for personal care and a lady from a separate agency who comes in for that 3 hour respite. What the befriending service agency say is that she is low priority if there are staff shortages. Does your wife's support worker come from an agency, Josh60 ?
The other worry is for your welfare and if you are worried about getting in supplies then in your situation I would speak to adult social care at your local authority and explain what is happening.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Josh60

I think we need to weigh up the pros and cons about having carers in to help.

Do you think it would work if the lady who gives you a break still comes but keeps her distance? I know this wouldn`t work if this carer administered personal care to your wife but if she just comes to stay with your wife for you to have a break it might be OK.

There is advice here which might help you decide.

Josh60

Feb 27, 2018
Sheffield
Thanks for your information it is much appreciated. What I didn't make clear is that the lady comes in to give respite to me and really only keeps her company, she comes from a small business that was recomended by older age centre.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976