Alone with dementia and covid19.

Winnie58

Mar 14, 2020
I organise care for my friend ( age 74) who lives alone with dementia. ( I am his Power of Attorney) He has several carers who go to his house and look after him during the day - 7am to 9 pm and he sleeps alone In his house. My concern is what will happen to him and who will care for him if his carers ( and I) are unable to visit due to the Covid19 pandemic. He can’t even make himself a cuppa, let alone feed himself. What should I do? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I cannot help you but I share your concerns as my mother is in a similar position. There are three siblings who visit although my sister is her main Carer and she has three agency care visits each week, to cover weekends. I hope that between us, one of us will be well enough to continue but I am disabled so limited re shopping, cooking and housework, my sister has a young family so likely to be quarantined as some point and my brother's partner is registered blind so he supports her as well.

I wish the Gvt would give those of us in this situation some reassurance that they have contingencies in plan, simply organising online shopping isn't going to get the food stored safely or cooked!

All I can think is that if there is a crisis ( say in a total lockdown of our town as happened in Italy ) a call to 111 would get some action.

Winnie58

Mar 14, 2020
I cannot help you but I share your concerns as my mother is in a similar position. There are three siblings who visit although my sister is her main Carer and she has three agency care visits each week, to cover weekends. I hope that between us, one of us will be well enough to continue but I am disabled so limited re shopping, cooking and housework, my sister has a young family so likely to be quarantined as some point and my brother's partner is registered blind so he supports her as well.

I wish the Gvt would give those of us in this situation some reassurance that they have contingencies in plan, simply organising online shopping isn't going to get the food stored safely or cooked!

All I can think is that if there is a crisis ( say in a total lockdown of our town as happened in Italy ) a call to 111 would get some action.
Thanks for reply and appreciate your concerns too! I wondered whether Social Services would be able to help? We have private carers though Direct Payments scheme from Local Authority and we all have our own families to consider- some with pre existing medical conditions too. I agree - wish we knew what contingencies were in place. I really worry as to what would happen to him if none of us could get to him. He has one son living in London - 4 hours away and who only visits once a blue moon.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I'm wondering if it's worth contact my MP and also my Mums, just to ask what contingency plans are in place especially now as some media sources are suggesting that over 70's will be asked to go into self quarantine for four months!

Mudlark

Jan 13, 2020
I'm wondering if it's worth contact my MP and also my Mums, just to ask what contingency plans are in place especially now as some media sources are suggesting that over 70's will be asked to go into self quarantine for four months!
I think contacting your MP is a good idea, as it seems the government has not thought this through very carefully. There are so many practical difficulties involved in the over 70's self-isolating if they have dementia ( or any illness) and carers cannot visit. I feel Mr Johnson has shown no empathy or understanding for those people or their carers, I would like to see him put on the spot about it by someone. Advising the over 70's not to go on cruises was a rather glib comment which highlighted his limited view of the majority of those in that age range.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I know it is a bit late now but I was going to suggest that as soon as this is over more mps need to visit day-centres, dementia cafes and so on so that we can tell them what it's like.

MaNaAk