A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
That's really difficult for you @Palerider I'm sure. I'm guessing Mum isn't able to communicate very well via the 'phone (I know my Mum struggled with that as the dementia got worse). I wish you all the best. Take care of yourself.

Hi @Pete1

I did think of a phone call, but mum can't use it anymore so pointless trying. The carers do send pics of residents to family but its not the same as visiting. Will just have to suck it up until things get better

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hello @Palerider - just having a quick look in on TP to see what folk are up to. So sorry that you have so much going on at the moment. I was just chatting to my husband and saying how people do not realise that for a dementia patient - in the absence of visits - phone calls, skype, letters and messages mean very little.

I feel for you all. I used to be wracked with guilt if I visited Mum with a cold or when I was feeling under the weather - and this is a thousand times worse. I miss Mum hugely, but am so grateful that I didn't have to go through all this when she was at her most frail.

Thank you for all you are doing at work for everyone in your area. Take care of yourself.

Love, thoughts and prayers for all that are navigating this Coronavirus minefield.

XX

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I'm not far behind you @DesperateofDevon, infact its safe to say I nearly had a break down when the letter arrived from the LA and seemed very one sided, I felt unwell all week and still not sure how I kept going. I was hoping the CHC assessment would go ahead yesterday but it was cancelled as the CH had an outbreak of diarrhoea.

There is no end to this once we start walking the path, which of course I have done willingly and out of love for my mum, but boy don't we get shot down once we no longer are seen to have a purpose from the state
We need to remind ourselves that we only have so much energy etc
((((hugs))))

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
well that's taken the option off the table, so i'm hoping you will feel a little better about not visiting.
(((hugs)))

Yes I feel better about it although in the wrong circumstances. Glad I stopped visiting a week before though as I can't know if I have been exposed already to Covid-19 and didn't want to put mum and her fellow residents at risk.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hello @Palerider - just having a quick look in on TP to see what folk are up to. So sorry that you have so much going on at the moment. I was just chatting to my husband and saying how people do not realise that for a dementia patient - in the absence of visits - phone calls, skype, letters and messages mean very little.

I feel for you all. I used to be wracked with guilt if I visited Mum with a cold or when I was feeling under the weather - and this is a thousand times worse. I miss Mum hugely, but am so grateful that I didn't have to go through all this when she was at her most frail.

Thank you for all you are doing at work for everyone in your area. Take care of yourself.

Love, thoughts and prayers for all that are navigating this Coronavirus minefield.

XX

Thanks @Toony Oony I will pass on your well wishes and everyone elses tomorrow at work.

Its hard not visiting but it has to be done for now and anyone who is working in close proximity to this virus has to take on some responsibility in changing their routines. I was talking to the CH nurse yesterday and mum is fine, she had been up till 5am talking with the staff, eating their pizza, cake and drinking coffee and then wouldn't get out of bed for breakfast but did take her tablets :rolleyes: -good to know some things haven't changed.

My thoughts are also with everyone especially carers of pwd in their own homes as this is going to be a tough journey and I hope they get the support they need.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Thanks @Toony Oony I will pass on your well wishes and everyone elses tomorrow at work.

mum is fine, she had been up till 5am talking with the staff, eating their pizza, cake and drinking coffee and then wouldn't get out of bed for breakfast but did take her tablets :rolleyes:
? Sorry but that made me chuckle , sounds like my teenagers . Sounds like she is happy enough and not stressed or anxious .

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Common sense prevails, just recieved this from Sainsbury's via email, I hope people do follow this request:

Dear Simon,
You will have seen that, due to the ongoing uncertainty around the full impact of Coronavirus, supermarkets have been much busier than usual and customers are choosing to stock up.
I wanted to personally reassure you that we have more food and other essential items coming to us from manufacturers and into our warehouses and distribution centres. If we all shop just for the food that we and our families need, there will be enough for everyone.
I also wanted to let you know that at Sainsbury's, we are working really hard to ensure this remains the case. Over the past two weeks we have:
-Ordered more stock of essential items from our suppliers
-Put more capacity into our warehouses and
-Set limits on a small number of items, including some cleaning products, soap and pain relief. This is a precautionary measure - if everyone shops normally, there will be enough for everyone.
There are gaps on shelves because of increased demand, but we have new stock arriving regularly and we're doing our best to keep shelves stocked. Our store colleagues are working tirelessly and doing the best job they can.
Which brings me onto a request. Please think before you buy and only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this then we can make sure we have enough for everyone. And please help elderly and vulnerable friends, family and neighbours with their shopping if you can.
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to thank our colleagues who are all working incredibly hard to ensure we can continue to serve our customers well.
Best wishes

Mike

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Common sense prevails, just recieved this from Sainsbury's via email, I hope people do follow this request:

Dear Simon,
You will have seen that, due to the ongoing uncertainty around the full impact of Coronavirus, supermarkets have been much busier than usual and customers are choosing to stock up.
I wanted to personally reassure you that we have more food and other essential items coming to us from manufacturers and into our warehouses and distribution centres. If we all shop just for the food that we and our families need, there will be enough for everyone.
I also wanted to let you know that at Sainsbury's, we are working really hard to ensure this remains the case. Over the past two weeks we have:
-Ordered more stock of essential items from our suppliers
-Put more capacity into our warehouses and
-Set limits on a small number of items, including some cleaning products, soap and pain relief. This is a precautionary measure - if everyone shops normally, there will be enough for everyone.
There are gaps on shelves because of increased demand, but we have new stock arriving regularly and we're doing our best to keep shelves stocked. Our store colleagues are working tirelessly and doing the best job they can.
Which brings me onto a request. Please think before you buy and only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this then we can make sure we have enough for everyone. And please help elderly and vulnerable friends, family and neighbours with their shopping if you can.
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to thank our colleagues who are all working incredibly hard to ensure we can continue to serve our customers well.
Best wishes

Mike
Equate that email to a lockdown as in Italy & there are major problems!
Ocado took online off as delivery & stock of goods issues as have other supermarkets.

Sainsbury's had no shower gel, toilet roll, antibacterial anything
Long life milk nada, bread flour nothing....
Frozen fruit & veg empty!

worst of all no fever tree tonic water!!!!!

if they can't supply shops now then what hope have we during this oncoming crisis!

ps
i bought extra seeds!!! not taking any chances!!!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I have ordered food and dad from Asda to deliver this week.I have ordered enough for 14 days.Just in case I’m still here.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I think for those members on this forum who this is going to affect it may well be necessary to stock-up and I have no quarms with that at all and its sensible to do so BUT I do take issue with the majority of the public being irresponsible and who don't need to stock pile. I worked all of last week and when I came to sort myself out and do a shop for essential food items the shelves were bare. Lets not forget those of us who are working on the frontline also need food and other supplies as well, no one will do this for us, we have to do it for ourselves.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My sister used to work for Sainsburys and still has two online delivery slots a week - she has two hungry teenagers to feed and also does all mums shopping. She says that although people are still emptying the shelves, the stores are getting extra deliveries. Online deliveries are picked before the shops open so will usually have the scarce products before these daft people can buy them.

I've solved my toilet roll shortage by ordering a large pack fron an office supplies company! I cannot physically go round big supermarkets and I haven't seen any supplies for a few days in the local shops I use. I'll be giving some to my mum as she has an upset tummy so is going through a lot right now !

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I think for those members on this forum who this is going to affect it may well be necessary to stock-up and I have no quarms with that at all and its sensible to do so BUT I do take issue with the majority of the public being irresponsible and who don't need to stock pile. I worked all of last week and when I came to sort myself out and do a shop for essential food items the shelves were bare. Lets not forget those of us who are working on the frontline also need food and other supplies as well, no one will do this for us, we have to do it for ourselves.

Totally agree!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Equate that email to a lockdown as in Italy & there are major problems!
Ocado took online off as delivery & stock of goods issues as have other supermarkets.

Sainsbury's had no shower gel, toilet roll, antibacterial anything
Long life milk nada, bread flour nothing....
Frozen fruit & veg empty!

worst of all no fever tree tonic water!!!!!

if they can't supply shops now then what hope have we during this oncoming crisis!

ps
i bought extra seeds!!! not taking any chances!!!

I am still upset over the lack of availability of Heinz tomato soup @DesperateofDevon ..... Indeed I may have to reach for the gin and have have a gin martini or two if this carries on (stirred not shaken and with a twist) ?

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
I am still upset over the lack of availability of Heinz tomato soup @DesperateofDevon ..... Indeed I may have to reach for the gin and have have a gin martini or two if this carries on (stirred not shaken and with a twist) ?
Have you tried Home Bargains? They often have Heinz tomato soup. Ours had hand wash (not gel though) and toilet rolls this morning but I didn't go down the food aisle, though I know they still had the soup in 6 packs last Thursday. Was buying supplies today for my parents as I'm going to Cardiff to see them this week. Dad got a Sainsburys delivery ok on Friday but I can't even get onto the website today so it looks like the irresponsible announcement this morning has provoked even greater panic buying.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I haven't been stockpiling so far. But all the reports of panic buying and empty shelves is making me think I should :(

But I'll pick up some soup for you, Simon!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I haven't been stockpiling so far. But all the reports of panic buying and empty shelves is making me think I should :(

But I'll pick up some soup for you, Simon!

Let me know if you have any success and can you pick up bread rolls or beugettes the long life ones of you can....I'll drive over to collect, these are life savers when I get home late at night

Status
Not open for further replies.