Coronavirus

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thank you @Palerider. The trouble with the internet is that false information ends up being given as much weight as correct information, and it is tricky to steer a path through it all. It is useful to have that. I hope you keep well and work isn't over swamped with case, though I guess that is probably wishful thinking.
I'm supposed to be visiting my brother tomorrow. He is very frail after spending most of a year in hospital. and though he is slowly getting better, and I have no reason to think I've been in contact with the virus, I obviously can't be sure, specially as I travelled across London and back on public transport yesterday, and would have to do the same to visit him tomorrow.
The virus seems to be hitting world leaders and others in governments quite hard. That makes me assume that coronavirus is much more wide spread that we are currently aware. It's interesting that both Johnson and Trump appear to think they are immune, as the latest I saw was that neither of them thought they needed to be tested, even though they have been around people with the virus.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
An ABC journalist who was in isolation in Bejing recounted how when his food was delivered to his door, there was a note attached recording the names of the person who cooked it and the person who delivered it as well as the status of their temperatures.

In Singapore, everyone's temperature was taken upon entering and leaving buildings. I suspect that the constant reminders about being careful was more important than the vague chance of finding someone with the symptoms.

There are ways and means of doing things it seems that can look after people but still treating them with a little respect.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Tomorrow Wales play Scotland in the 6 nations at the Principality Stadium. The ground holds 74,500 and games are usually sold out. Cardiff train station is expecting to deal with 35,000 passengers who usually have to use cattle grids to filter on to the platforms. I'm not talking about short waits for trains but queues that have previously been up to 4 HOURS long.

And here I am, sole carer to my mum, working in a building with 250 others and within a long but walk-able distance of the stadium.

To say that I'm getting nervous about this is just a slight understatement.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I think we have to put things into context here. I am not defending the Prime Ministers announcements yesterday by the way! And I was stunned by Trumps assertion of blocking all european flights except the UK :rolleyes:

Measuring temperatures without any other consideration is plainly misguided @Lawson58. Certainly here in the UK as this is the main season for colds and flu and common viral infections. A temperature alone is meaningless because it wouldn't confirm if someone has Covid-19 -it means they have a temperature but we don't why. Only individuals know if they are unwell and they need to take on that responsibilty.

@Kay111 providing childcare for nurses and doctors is a little late in the game plus its not just nurses and doctors -a hospital runs on a whole range of staff and roles, multiply that out across the UK. Whether schools are closed or not won't stop this, it might slow it thats all and I am apprehensive as well about my mum who's CH has frequent agency staff and various visitors everyday. Please don't get upset, there isn't much we can do even if schools and colleges are closed it will only slow things or 'delay' as this word is used in the media.

@Sarasa its a tough call for you in whether to visit your brother not helped by having to travel across London. I think its safe to say the virus is now widespread. Have you talked to you brother to see what he thinks about visiting. I know I am finding hard about my decision not to visit mum for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I've just called Haematology to change my next appointment into a phone consultation as I believe it's all about blood test results anyway. They were really understanding and said they would do that with other patients too. This government might not care whether I live or die but I'm not sacrificing myself on the altar of "herd immunity", thank you.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
To be honest I don't think the government can do right for doing wrong whatever decision they make. There will always be some who think differently.

I understand the thought process of not getting people to isolate or stopping large gatherings too soon, people will get fed up and break those guidelines. Surely it makes more sense to do that near the time the virus will peak, estimated to be in around 14 weeks. If they shut schools now when will they open again, 16 - 18 weeks time?
From the little I saw of the government advisor on BBC Breakfast this morning he supports the government stance. I want to catch up on iplayer but they haven't uploaded it yet.

I'm waiting until this afternoon to see OHs care company is going to inform it's customers of what additional protocols they are putting in place and what happens if anyone in the care chain comes in to contact with the virus. If I haven't heard anything by 3pm I'll ring them.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
To be honest I don't think the government can do right for doing wrong whatever decision they make. There will always be some who think differently.

I understand the thought process of not getting people to isolate or stopping large gatherings too soon, people will get fed up and break those guidelines. Surely it makes more sense to do that near the time the virus will peak, estimated to be in around 14 weeks. If they shut schools now when will they open again, 16 - 18 weeks time?
From the little I saw of the government advisor on BBC Breakfast this morning he supports the government stance. I want to catch up on iplayer but they haven't uploaded it yet.

I'm waiting until this afternoon to see OHs care company is going to inform it's customers of what additional protocols they are putting in place and what happens if anyone in the care chain comes in to contact with the virus. If I haven't heard anything by 3pm I'll ring them.

Hi @RosettaT that will be interesting to hear about the care companies stance if you could keep us posted please,is that care at home or in a care home?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I'm waiting until this afternoon to see OHs care company is going to inform it's customers of what additional protocols they are putting in place and what happens if anyone in the care chain comes in to contact with the virus.

I think the problem is that current estimates are that there may be up to 10,000 people currently infected, some of whom may not be displaying obvious symptoms whilst a carrier, and testing is going to be focussed on those who are in hospital with symptoms rather than all those who are displaying symptoms. It's therefore potentially going to be very difficult to know whether you've come into contact with someone with the virus or not (unless they have been tested), or whether you've got the virus yourself. The focus seems to be on protecting the elderly/vulnerable during the peak period rather than now, but those people are still at risk now. It's placing carers/family's in a really difficult position and the only specific guidance issued yesterday was for those who are elderly/suffering health issues is to avoid cruises! I feel in limbo about whether to visit Mum or not due to the lack of any clear advice. Those of us who use the tube daily can't keep 2 meters away from anyone, nor do we have any idea of whether other travellers may be carrying the virus or have been displaying symptoms. Hand washing can't do much about the droplets in the air. Do I continue to visit Mum regularly and possibly pass on the virus unknowingly, or do I keep away for what could be weeks/months? Hopefully more advice about protecting the elderly/vulnerable will be coming out soon as the proposed 'herd immunity' plan isn't going to help those individuals :(

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Breaking news is that the English Premier League matches have been cancelled. So what about the others?

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Hi @RosettaT that will be interesting to hear about the care companies stance if you could keep us posted please,is that care at home or in a care home?

It's care at home, 2 x 1hr calls a per day. If they take the stance that the virus could have been passed on to all/most carers so they closed down for 2 weeks (Not sure what the government advice is in such circumstances) then I shall have to deal with OH by myself. That will be interesting, not impossible but I may have to revert the hoist on bad day. So far there is only 1 confirmed case in my county but no idea where.

Edit: Went to place a regular order for disposable gloves and aprons last night. Usual place out of stock, and an increase in costs for what I could get.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
God knows what you are supposed to do if you are a carer and you get the virus and you live with a vulnerable person that you are caring for in the family home as I do full time,I feed my mother as she's bed bound and can't hold a fork or a cup,she has visiting carers that change her pad and give her a bed bath in the morning

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
It's care at home, 2 x 1hr calls a per day. If they take the stance that the virus could have been passed on to all/most carers so they closed down for 2 weeks (Not sure what the government advice is in such circumstances) then I shall have to deal with OH by myself. That will be interesting, not impossible but I may have to revert the hoist on bad day. So far there is only 1 confirmed case in my county but no idea where.

Edit: Went to place a regular order for disposable gloves and aprons last night. Usual place out of stock, and an increase in costs for what I could get.

Hi I may well be left to doing mums personal care I did it before until mum lost complete mobility and then she had to have a care package with visiting carers with double handled calls,mum wears pads and it's a matter of cleaning her bottom while rolled on to her side after a pad change as she doesn't use a commode.
One of the local chemists did have them on a shelf,I shall have a look today

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Same here @occupied99. OH requires 2, although he can walk a little with help and there is much he can do such as sit up by himself he can't roll onto his side, it's almost as tho' he has forgotten how. I act as the second carer.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
Same here @occupied99. OH requires 2, although he can walk a little with help and there is much he can do such as sit up by himself he can't roll onto his side, it's almost as tho' he has forgotten how. I act as the second carer.

/QUOTE]

Well I wish you all the best and hope that we can keep the visiting carers,I'm going to try and visit the shops as late as possible when it's quiet,although over the period of a week mum has about 8 different carers on the calls,so it's more likely that they will bring something in than me.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My husband is 74 with a heart condition. I'm 67 with shortness of breath and high blood pressure. I still work - in an office - 3 days a week. I don't want to get I'll or to pass the virus on to my husband.
Something happened at work this week and the more I think about it the angrier I become. I'd been to the loo and was washing my hands when a woman came out of a stall behind me and rushed out, saying 'I'm not washing my hands because I use sanitiser'.
I was shocked - she went back to her desk to use sanitiser (or so she says) but on the way touched 3 door handles with her filthy hands!
Do I talk to her? Or report her? Either way I think she'll get tearful and defensive. She'll make out I'm a bully - when she's putting lives at risk!

Make a notice saying “hand sanitizer is no substitute for proper hand washing “ and put a copy on her desk when she's not looking.

I’d be angry and disgusted too. That’s terrible hygiene at the best of times.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Tomorrow Wales play Scotland in the 6 nations at the Principality Stadium. The ground holds 74,500 and games are usually sold out. Cardiff train station is expecting to deal with 35,000 passengers who usually have to use cattle grids to filter on to the platforms. I'm not talking about short waits for trains but queues that have previously been up to 4 HOURS long.

And here I am, sole carer to my mum, working in a building with 250 others and within a long but walk-able distance of the stadium.

To say that I'm getting nervous about this is just a slight understatement.

There's been a recent update and the rugby has now been postponed so wont be going ahead tomorrow.