Is there any group support for carer after PWD has died?

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
There is a small group in my area offering support to carers looking after someone with dementia/alzheimers. It was set up quite recently and I attended from the start, having read about it in local newspaper.

When OH died recently I emailed the leader of the group to let her know and received reply saying sorry for your loss, thank you for attending the group, we wish you well.

Has anyone experienced support group for carers after PWD has died?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I don't know of any such service. It may be possible that the organisation that can be located with the following link could help

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi @Lilac Blossom
I did briefly go to a group which had a mix of those currently caring and those who had been
I wonder whether the leader misunderstood and thought you were saying farewell... if the group isn't limited to a certain number with a waiting list, I doubt those attending would be anything but welcoming if you continued to go along

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
There is a small group in my area offering support to carers looking after someone with dementia/alzheimers. It was set up quite recently and I attended from the start, having read about it in local newspaper.

When OH died recently I emailed the leader of the group to let her know and received reply saying sorry for your loss, thank you for attending the group, we wish you well.

Has anyone experienced support group for carers after PWD has died?
I go to a Carers group run by the local memory matters clinic, we have people that continue to come along even after a death of the PWD as it’s felt that they still have something to offer to the other Carers that attend and also have their support as we have all become friends. I know Carers who have attended the local Alzheimer’s coffee mornings and they have been told in no uncertain terms that they have stop attending after the death of the PWD, they have been very upset by this as they felt abandoned.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I was lucky in that the local carers support group in my area run a mix of sessions, some of which combine both carers and former carers.

A memory cafe that I attended with my husband used to only cater for people with dementia and their carers - but then, realising that there was a real need to support former carers too, it changed its criteria to include them.

It might be worth approaching your group again to see if they know of any support for former carers - or if there are plans to widen their remit in the near future.

I did find CRUSE helpful too and joined one of their weekly walk and talk groups. It wasn't specifically for former carers but many of those who joined after bereavement had been carers.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
When I contacted the group leader I was not really saying farewell, more like just letting her know that I would not be attending the meeting next week - meeting being on the day before hubby's funeral.

I think it is early days for her in regard to setting up a new group, maybe she has not quite got round to thinking of what happens after PWD has died. I'm just going to leave it as it is for now.

Thanks for replies and suggestions - I may contact CRUSE.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I would pull the group leader up on it. Telling her you weren't saying goodbye and asking whether she is intending to exclude you now from the group?

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan