Proshield plus barrier cream

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
My mother has been prescribed Proshield plus skin protectant as she has moisture damage on her bottom,she wears pads and is bedbound,the nurse that visisted the home today said it only needs to be applied once in the morning as it lasts 24 hours so would be applied after the morning wash.
Can anyone tell me how often they have it applied to a loved one,The carers that visit say that they are surprised as they usually apply it 4 times a day in other homes they visit,I know that is the case with other barriers like Cavilon or medi derma which are a lot thinner which know can be removed unwittingly at care calls while wiping bottoms,I even double checked a couple of times just to make sure I had the correct instructions from the nurse,she said it's so thick its sits there for 24 hours and you don't want layer after layer adding and it wont be removed by the gentle wipe of a wet wipe at care visits,maybe she was just thinking in my mothers situation that's the best way to do it,I'm not sure if I should ring the district nurse and ask them or just go with the instruction given by the nurse.
She also said it should be left a couple of minutes before the pad incontinence pad is put on so it doesn't stick to the Proshield.,I some how can't see the carers bothering to wait 2 minutes to beofre placing pad

Any thoughts much appreciated

GeordieAg

Nov 1, 2018
We use Proshield spray and cream - it's brilliant stuff ?

From memory I think it was initially applied 3 or 4 times per day until the skin improved and now is used as a preventive measure.

I'll try and find out how we've been using it tomorrow when I next visit.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
We use Proshield spray and cream - it's brilliant stuff ?

From memory I think it was initially applied 3 or 4 times per day until the skin improved and now is used as a preventive measure.

I'll try and find out how we've been using it tomorrow when I next visit.
Hi thanks is that a cleaner or a barrier cream,we did at one time have a cleaner in a short dumpy bottle called Proshield foam and spray,she deleted that from old prescriptions this afternoon while going through old products mum has had while she was on her laptop at the house today,mums stuff that she has just been prescribed is in a squeeze tube called "Proshield Plus"Its thick sticky stuff,when it comes out of the tube.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
If it has been prescribed for once a day application follow the nurse's advice and ask the carers to do the same. She will have based the prescription on her examination of your mum's skin, specific problems, other creams used etc. How often the carers use it on others isn't really relevant to your Mum's prescription.

occupied99

Jan 3, 2020
If it has been prescribed for once a day application follow the nurse's advice and ask the carers to do the same. She will have based the prescription on her examination of your mum's skin, specific problems, other creams used etc. How often the carers use it on others isn't really relevant to your Mum's prescription.
Yes that's true