Not eating...letting go

CherylB

Feb 22, 2020
My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s years ago. She still knows my sister and I but forgot her whole life’s memories. We just found out she has an aneurism that tore and is bleeding so we had to get hospice for her pain. We aren’t doing morphine. Just a low dose of hydrocodone as needed. Well, she stopped eating and only eats little bites, hardly drinks water...it’s so sad to watch but we will NEVER put her in a home and I traveled 1200 miles to care for her with my sister. I guess I want to help you all understand you’re not alone. Alzheimer’s is a horrible disease and letting go of our loved ones is part of this journey. We are sleeping next to our mom and I’m not leaving her. When the good lord comes calling, I know that I gave her great end of life care?? God bless everyone here. Stay strong and connected. Thank God for my supportive husband and adult kids. This is so very sad.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @CherylB
just to send very best wishes to you and your family at this challenging time
your mom is fortunate to have her daughters standing by her

do ask for anything, including meds, to help your mom be pain free and as comfortable as possible
if ypu are in the UK, you can ask your mom's GP for a referral to Marie Curie nurses who will support you

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hello @CherylB , thank you for your supportive words to others when you are going through such a difficult time yourself.

You have done so well by your mom, and knowing that you did all that you could will be a great comfort to you - both now and in the time to come.

My thoughts are with you all.

CherylB

Feb 22, 2020
hello @CherylB
just to send very best wishes to you and your family at this challenging time
your mom is fortunate to have her daughters standing by her

do ask for anything, including meds, to help your mom be pain free and as comfortable as possible
if ypu are in the UK, you can ask your mom's GP for a referral to Marie Curie nurses who will support you
Thank you so much! I'm in the U.S.A. I was up all night just listening to her breathe......it's very hard. I started reading what you all were writing on this site and joined. I had no idea you were in the UK. But I don't think it matters where I am...I'm glad I joined. I'm surprised to get responses already and I so appreciate you all so much!!!!

CherylB

Feb 22, 2020
Hello @CherylB , thank you for your supportive words to others when you are going through such a difficult time yourself.

You have done so well by your mom, and knowing that you did all that you could will be a great comfort to you - both now and in the time to come.

Thank you so very much!!!

CherylB

Feb 22, 2020

Thank you!!!

CherylB

Feb 22, 2020

Thank you!!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
People with dementia seem to cling to life. You may be doing this for longer than you imagine, so make sure that you look after yourself too.

Keep posting @CherylB and we will hold your virtual hand through this time of limbo
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))