Blood in catheter night bag

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Well here we go again.

OHs temperature spiked at 39.9 and he was shaking, twitching and was going quite stiff - just the things that the out-of-hours GP warned me to watch out for. So I dialed 999 and he is now in hospital on IV antibiotics and much more confused.

Tomorrow (actually, today now) I will have to cancel the district nurse and check to make sure that the hospital have got OHs meds correct this time.
Oh my lovely
How distressing for you all,
(((((((Hugs)))))))
Sending lots of love to you both
Xx

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hope your OH is now on the mend and that you managed to get a good night's sleep as well. Is it one of the downsides of the catheter or is your husband very unlucky with the number of UTIs he's been getting? I hope something can be sorted so this doesn't become a regular occurrence.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was so tired I slept like a log last night.
I dont know why he has been getting so many UTIs @Sarasa - he is on prophylactic antibiotics which is supposed to stop this happening. He has had lots of other infections this past year too - dermatitis, ear infections, eye infection. I cant keep up with it!

spandit

Feb 11, 2020
When my father first moved in, it seemed like there was more blood than urine in the bag. Think his catheter will be permanent otherwise he'd be in danger of more kidney damage should he go back into retention. Was bleeding yesterday when district nurse came round to sort out another blockage but running clear again now. Hope yours gets sorted soon

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Went to see OH in hospital and he is looking much brighter today. Cognitively back to normal, I would say, so the antibiotics are kicking in. Unfortunately there is still blood in the urine, so they wont discharge him until its clear

Thank you for hugs and good wishes.
xxx

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
That's good news. Fingers crossed the good recovery continues and he isn't in hospital for too long.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think I need to update this.
The UTI has gone, but OH still has blood in his urine. The hospital has irrigated his bladder, but it hasnt stopped, so he has had a scan to see if there is anything else going on ☹

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I think I need to update this.
The UTI has gone, but OH still has blood in his urine. The hospital has irrigated his bladder, but it hasnt stopped, so he has had a scan to see if there is anything else going on ☹
Not the best of news, but let’s hope it’s just a blood vessel collapse. A relative had one of these with a long term catheter.
I hope you manage to get some rest tonight
Sending love
Xx

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Im trying not to worry too much - I know it could be several things
It might not seem so, but you are an inspiration. It takes enormous reserves of courage and patience to undergo constant uncertainty and yet maintain the generosity of spirit which you demonstrate so willingly on here. There will be many who take heart from your words and find solace in them when confronting their own predicament. A big " thank you" seems hardly adequate. With warmest wishes.