Help

Nette.B

Aug 24, 2017
My dad went into a home after suffering a stroke he is happy and settled but he has falls which we don't hold the home responsible for and now has a one to one carer. The home has just told me my dad can't stay!! What can I do he is happy there mum is happy,
how do I tell her they don't want him. I'm so upset they assessed him before they said he could go into the home. Any advice please.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
so sorry to hear that @Nette.B

I guess the staff have found that your dad's needs are of a higher level than was realised
it's really tough on you and your mum ... the home, though, do have a duty to let you know if they cannot support your dad as he requires ... a one to one carer is unusual and may indicate that actually your dad needs to be in a nursing home ... has the manager explained their decision?
might you contact the Local Authority Adult Services, let them know the situation and ask them to suggest alternatives ... I believe they should offer at least one suitable placement
Admiral Nurses may be able to help you

Nette.B

Aug 24, 2017
so sorry to hear that @Nette.B

I guess the staff have found that your dad's needs are of a higher level than was realised
it's really tough on you and your mum ... the home, though, do have a duty to let you know if they cannot support your dad as he requires ... a one to one carer is unusual and may indicate that actually your dad needs to be in a nursing home ... has the manager explained their decision?
might you contact the Local Authority Adult Services, let them know the situation and ask them to suggest alternatives ... I believe they should offer at least one suitable placement
Admiral Nurses may be able to help you
Thank you, dad is in a nursing home on the nursing wing, so I'm not sure if there is anywhere more sutible for him. I think it's costs as it's not the manager of the home but the head office that has made the desision. I've tried calling them to talk to them about it, but none of the managers will take my call or indeed return it. I only get through to PA,s. So I'm also going to write a letter and appeal.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Nette.B, I am assuming that the Local Authority are funding the care? If that is the case I would suggest that you speak with them as they will have the contractual arrangement with the Care Home and will be required to either resolve the funding issue or look for suitable alternatives that work for your Dad's needs but also the family. All the best.

Nette.B

Aug 24, 2017
Hi @Nette.B, I am assuming that the Local Authority are funding the care? If that is the case I would suggest that you speak with them as they will have the contractual arrangement with the Care Home and will be required to either resolve the funding issue or look for suitable alternatives that work for your Dad's needs but also the family. All the best.
Thank you. I have contacted them but the person I need to talk to is on leave at the moment. I have also contacted the head office of the company who run the Care home 3 times now to try and appeal but no one who can deal with it is ever there to take my call and I'm told some one will get back to me. I've been waiting on a call since Tuesday so not sure their name should be the company name. I will keep trying as the home and staff are lovely dispite the head office.

Last edited by a moderator: