Blood in catheter night bag

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH has an indwelling (permanant) catheter and this morning when I emptied the night bag I realised that there was quite a lot of blood in it - not just a few flecks.
He is on prophylactic antibiotics to prevent UTIs and he doesnt have any symptoms of one.

What should I do? Is this urgent or can I wait and see? Given that this is Sunday morning and I probably wont be able to contact the support services, should I dial 111?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I agree @canary I hope you're calling now

I tend to think will I regret calling or not having called... it's generally the latter

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think you’re absolutely right to have dialled 111. I hope you hear back soon.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Not had a phone call backk. I was told that someone would phone me within 2 hours. Well after 4 hours I phoned them again and I was told that someone would chase it up.. Its now nearly 6 hours and he is still passing blood, although there doesnt seem to be anything else wrong

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hmm just read events. Wondering if your OH has pulled it in the night or its got caught on something. The balloon that fills with water (inside the bladder) can cause trauma to the bladder neck and bleed into the urine if it gets snagged. Either way frank haematuria needs to be investigated just to ensure there is nothing else going on and the catheter is patent. If 111 aren't up to scratch then go to ED. Unfortunate its a Sunday but needs must

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Wondering if your OH has pulled it in the night or its got caught on something. The balloon that fills with water (inside the bladder) can cause trauma to the bladder neck and bleed into the urine if it gets snagged.
You are probably right about this.
Still no response from 111. I think if there is no reply I'll phone the catheter helpline in the morning.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
You are probably right about this.
Still no response from 111. I think if there is no reply I'll phone the catheter helpline in the morning.

If it is trauma the urine should run clear eventually, there may be some clots though in the catheter bag as things resolve, not unusual. But definately call the help line in the morning as he may need a new catheter if the current one has become displaced.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
111 has finally phoned me back to say that they are going to get me an out of hours GP appointment at the local hospital.
More waiting

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Having had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago with 111, I feel for you @canary. I just hope your OH can get an appointment tonight, or his GP can get him an emergency appointment in the morning.

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Just caught up with your thread @canary hoping by now you have the appt with emergency GP.....my oh had similar when he had a catheter it’s very worrying ,
A x

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
It is grim waiting on the calls. We lost hours of sleep waiting on return calls. They always said within 2 hours and 4hours later.... etc

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH has had an appointment with the Out of Hours GP at the local hospital. We are just back. Well desoite him being on prophylactic antibiotics he has a UTI - quite a bad one. We have some different antibiotics and tomorrow I must call the catheter help line to get the district nurse to change the catheter.
We are both shattered now and I must say that I didnt enjoy the drive, but at least the roads were pretty empty