Welcome back! Changes to Talking Point after our update

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
2020-02-14_090713.png

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Problem re. the tablet sorted, view in portrait not landscape and the message box appears as before the update:)

Agreed, when in portrait view it was too much hassle and I was thinking I wouldn't bother reading the forum on my tablet but in landscape it's just like it is on the PC so pleased now ?

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Not complaining - trying to be helpful.

Absolutely, and we appreciate the comments and feedback that everyone is sharing here. We appreciate our members honestly telling us what is working and what may be unhelpful and as much specific information as possible location/screenshots) is very helpful.

Thanks for helping us to ensure Talking Point works well :)

Serena

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
More on unfurling hyperlinks.

So far conversations act the same as posts.

Something has happened.
Previously all links including links to DTP unfurled, now uniquely these do not.
Annotated screen grab of post in test thread before posting showing post and preview, final post agrees with preview.

2020-02-14_182140.png

FWIW I prefer the current default setting, it gives users a choice.
The work around of deleting https:// (or adding space full stop) could be used if it was felt essential to have the URL as a single entry on a line.
Anybody got any views on this.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your comments and feedback. We understand that things may seem strange at the moment - and we're all getting used to the new version, including me! ?

We really appreciate your comments ? and will do everything we can to explore issues and will aim to get things addressed as soon as we can. We're a small team and we'll do our best by starting with the higher priority issues. ?

Some changes are part of the new version and we'll need to address whether critical changes are needed and to consider how to best use our limited technical resource budget ? so it may be possible that we can't change everything. We'll do as much as we can to help mitigate any issues.

Many thanks,

Serena :)

PS I'm liking these emojis. Hope you are too!
Hi Serena - I don't want to be negative but I do think the old version was easier to view - is the font smaller now? It was so easy to see new posts, what you'd read and what you hadn't, how many views each post had and how many replies. The features may still be there but somehow it all seems smaller, more complicated and less 'in your face' (I don't need glasses honestly!) Anyway, I guess we have this version now and just have to get used to it! Yes emojis are good.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The default font size is rather small.
You can go to https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/account/preferences and set a larger font.
Don't forget to save any change.

On navigation.
Have a play around with 'what's new' on menu bar and see how you like it
Some basic info
"New Posts" are unread posts, " Whats New" is what is recently posted including read and unread posts.

Your posts are regarded as being read and won't show unless you remove the filter in 'new posts'

Posts you have read are in black not blue

@White Rose

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Ok, I've just noticed something really weird. I wrote a post on my thread, so simply clicked into the writing box, but for some reason all the symbols above it stayed greyed out so I couldn't use emojis. The only think clickable was the little wheel on the right. I finished and posted, and only then did I click on it out of curiosity. Immediately all the symbols de-greyed and the words "Write your reply" appeared in the box. But I was perfectly able to write text in the box before, so why do we have to jump through another hoop and click on the wheel symbol in order to activate the others? Is that every time or did I just click on something by mistake? ?‍♀️

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The little wheel on the right toggles BB code (bulletin board code) on and off.

This code puts instructions before and after text instructing how that piece of text is to be formatted.

With it on formatting is RTF (rich text format)
With it off formatting is plain text and format bar greyed out.

You probably clicked on the cogwheel accidentally.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
When the threads are listed, there is no indication of who originated the thread in the first place. Only the latest responder and the time. I think I preferred the other way.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
How are you listing the threads?
All the ways I list them shows originator and time of origination as well as stickies and last post info.
Across forums
2020-02-15_130942.png

Within a forum
2020-02-15_132102.png

This is on a laptop, maybe different on other devices.
What are you using?

@Lawson58

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lindsay A