Can a bad UTI cause a worsening in dementia?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
My OH, Pauline is now in the fourth year since diagnosis with Alzheimer’s disease and the decline has been slow with, other than some tramatic and dramatic episodes, her presenting fairly well. This week has been dominated by her reaction to a serious UTI which has been treated with antibiotics and, as far as the bladder is concerned seems to have receded. Not so the bewilderment, confusions, fear and hands shakesing very badly. Up to no sign of improvement in this sudden worsening of afflictions and very worried that they are here to stay.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry to hear that Pauline is not doing so well. My mum’s dementia was always much much worse during a UTI. She had vascular dementia and during a UTI changed from being fairly mild mannered to aggressive and disturbed about everything around her. When the infection was gone she tended to gradually get back to where she had been. My husband had Alzheimers and also suffered from UTIs. He didn’t become aggressive but his confusion increased tremendously and his mobility decreased massively. Again he eventually went back to how he had been when the infections had gone.

I do hope Pauline settles.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry Pauline is not doing so well and taking time to recover from a UTI. C sometimes ends up more sleepy after antibiotics and that of course makes confusion worse, but usually she is back to normal within a week or so. I hope Pauline will make a good recovery too, Agzy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder if , as the dementia progresses, it takes longer to recover from the effect of infections and antibiotics on the system.

I hope Pauling soon shows signs the antibiotics have worked.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
UTIs cause havoc in people with dementia , but afterwards they do slowly recover. I must say, though, that I have found that my MIL and my mum didnt completely get back to where they were before.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Agzy, strangely after time I got know if Mum had a UTI by her behaviour - she became much more confused and agitated. It would generally take the course of antibiotics to help her return to 'normal', albeit not completely back to where she was. I feel for you, it's really difficult to witness and deal with. Take care of yourself.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH had 11 infections last year and so far since Christmas we are on the 4th course of ABs. He has always recovered well but the last 2 infections have taken longer to recover from. There is a distinct improvement by the end of the 2nd day of ABs then it usually takes 5 days after the end of the course to get back to being his bright, bubbly self.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My OH had 11 infections last year and so far since Christmas we are on the 4th course of ABs. He has always recovered well but the last 2 infections have taken longer to recover from. There is a distinct improvement by the end of the 2nd day of ABs then it usually takes 5 days after the end of the course to get back to being his bright, bubbly self.

Sorry to hijack the thread for a minute, but my OH had a run of UTIs like that which did not end well and the doctor put her on low level antibiotics for about a year and a half to prevent a recurrence which worked fairly well. Is that something you would consider, RosettaT ?

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Hi nae sporran, I have enquired about long term Abs but the response was negative. I'm not sure of the circumstances but I was told there was a case of long term ABs being prescribed but it didn't end well and they will now only prescribe with the say so of a microbiologist. I'm not sure if it was a case directly connected to our medical practice or not but once OH is better I'm going to make an appointment to see if I can get more detailed info or if OH can pay for a report or at least get his bloods tested through normal channels to see if anything comes to light.
Something has to give. It's unfair to him because it knocks him down for couple of weeks then he's OK for a couple and then we start all over again.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I’m sorry to hear that Pauline is not doing so well. My mum’s dementia was always much much worse during a UTI. She had vascular dementia and during a UTI changed from being fairly mild mannered to aggressive and disturbed about everything around her. When the infection was gone she tended to gradually get back to where she had been. My husband had Alzheimers and also suffered from UTIs. He didn’t become aggressive but his confusion increased tremendously and his mobility decreased massively. Again he eventually went back to how he had been when the infections had gone.

I do hope Pauline settles.
Thank you and I truly hope that things ease up soon.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi @Agzy, strangely after time I got know if Mum had a UTI by her behaviour - she became much more confused and agitated. It would generally take the course of antibiotics to help her return to 'normal', albeit not completely back to where she was. I feel for you, it's really difficult to witness and deal with. Take care of yourself.
Thank you @Pete1

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
That is a relief @RosettaT although another week of enforced home imprisonment because of weather and this might just send me over the top!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Pauline completed the course of ABs today and is brighter and more lucid but physically exhausted. Just hope no long term harm has been done although I’m viewing this incident as a bit of a wake up call at how fast things can change, thank you all.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I hope Pauline continues to improve. My OH finished his ABs Saturday morning and this morning was as bright as a button and very independent.