Welcome back! Changes to Talking Point after our update

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

Talking Point is back!

We’ve updated the software for Talking Point to enable us to continue to maintain the community, and update the design and features .

Things that are the same

At the top, you’ll still be able to log in, access your messages and notifications like you did before.

All your posts, discussions and images are still here, and you’ll find the same forum areas in the same place.

You can still search and navigate between forums, media and members as you did before..

Things that are new

We have tried to keep the overall look and feel as familiar as possible. Because this is a new version of our software, there are a couple of changes to Talking Point. We’ve listed some key changes below:

1. Recent Threads box on the right-hand side now shows more information including the forum name.
  2. What’s New button at the top which will take you straight to the latest discussions.
  3. Changes to the dropdown menus so you can find threads you’ve started and replied to, as well as finding threads or forums that you’re watching.
  4. You should be able to use more Emojis in your posts and discussions.
  5. Avatars and smileys now support higher resolution images
  6. We have removed the Calendar as it wasn’t being used.

Feedback and questions

We will be capturing changes and any potential issues over the next couple of weeks and we are happy to hear your feedback.

Please feel free to share your feedback and let us know if you have questions.

We understand that it can take a while to get used to changes on Talking Point. We’ll do all we can to answer your questions and offer support if needed.

We're confident that there shouldn't be problems, but if you do have trouble logging in or using Dementia Talking Point, please contact us by emailing talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk.

Best wishes,

The Talking Point Team

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
??‍♀️??

I like the expanded range of emojis but I couldn't find the ability to log in anywhere at the top :confused: It was only when I clicked 'reply' to the above that I received a message saying that I had to sign in, with a link to how I could sign in, that I managed to sign in ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Positive changes
  • Clicking on any conversation in a conversation thread gives that conversation not the start of the tread.
  • Bookmarking is by post not thread
Negative changes
  • All previous bookmarks have vanished
  • Not really a bad change but may cause confusion. Chosen font size is standard for the font not a non standard one. Default size may be too small for some, for those who used to increase to 6 this is posted in 26

Comment
  • Share |email icon not working for me, not worried, may be my settings. Don't know about other share options

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Oh! Everything looks different, my Avatar is wrong and I get an error message when I try to change it. Can someone post a user manual please, because I am lost.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Ok, Avatar is changed. Still haven't got a clue how everything else works. But hey, finally more emojis! ?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Is there a way of figuring out which posts I haven't read yet? Used to work on the old software by those I hadn't clicked on being in bold. I see no distinction now. And I don't mean "new posts". That isn't the same.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Ok, I have just replied to my own thread, then I clicked on New Posts but couldn't see it. I had to click on the very small "Unread" on the top left for it to come up. Why is this like this, it's really confusing! I simply want to see what was I think called "Recent Posts" before, which was a complete list of all posts in time order, with the unread ones in bold.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You had obviously read your own post
By removing the filter you removed the ability to do what you were looking for in

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
@Beate - when you go to 'what's new', the posts that you haven't read yet should be in blue, and the ones you've already read should be in black. I hope that helps, but let us know if that doesn't answer your question.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Just noticed that you also can't now see which members are on-line. Not a major problem but I'd always have a quick look to see which of the regulars were logged in ?

On the plus side the ? emoji will be useful in the incontinence threads ;)

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
hi @Louise7

to find members online .... go to the Members button at top right and select Current Visitors then Members

Thanks, but when I click on 'members' I don't get an option to select 'Current visitors' - maybe this is a moderator option only? (the log in/out button has now appeared at the top though ? )

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
@nitram just to clarify, with 'links to a previous post' could I check what you're clicking on that is taking you to the first post in a thread?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I can’t see which members are online either.

The new font is very small on my iPad mini and I can’t see latest posts unless I use it in landscape. I can’t type in landscape as my thumbs aren’t long enough :rolleyes: