Macular degeneration

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I have early onset Alzheimers and now my husband has developed MD. Seems like a double whammy as he manages my appointments and medication, drives the car etc and does the shopping. Feeling a little down this morning. Sorry to moan, I know there are others far worse of than I.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That must be a bitter blow, both for you and him.

There will come a time when he will not be able drive, cook and do many things.

Perhaps now is the time for you both to think about getting in some extra help - perhaps carers to help with things like cooking, shopping, medication and things like that, so that it is easier as his vision fades.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
A dear friend of mine was classified as legally blind with macular degeneration many years ago. She accepted the right sort of help and training and apart from not being able drive, she mostly copes very well. Everything must stay in its right place and she learned lots of different techniques for being able to remain relatively independent. She has a voice program on her computer, her pharmacist looks after her medications and she has her groceries delivered. Now she is thinking about getting something like Alexis, and Vision Australia have people who help with IT and setting it up.

She no longer gardens because she can't tell the weeds from the plants. She uses audiobooks quite often because a lot of TV is difficult for her. I offered to put some buttons on a blouse for her and she refused because she said she could do it by feel and she felt so good when she was able to do it.

So there's work to be done but it is doable and there are ways around your problem so don't get down about it yet. Yes, there are lots of adjustments to be made and the sooner the better, he won't want to be trying to learn how to cope with his macular degeneration while trying to care for you.

Lots to deal with but I am sure you can get something set up that works for you.

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
I have early onset Alzheimers and now my husband has developed MD. Seems like a double whammy as he manages my appointments and medication, drives the car etc and does the shopping. Feeling a little down this morning. Sorry to moan, I know there are others far worse of than I.

When my Mum (now 88) was diagnosed with macular degeneration in 2007 she was told to stop driving straight away, and had to surrender her driving licence.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976