Coronavirus

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
I hope the virus is not as bad as the news suggest and the effect in the UK will be minimal, but what if things do get worse?

The last two weeks have been hell for us as we only now just getting over a bad cough. Normally we would get over a cough within a few days but this infection just got worse and worse. I fear that our immune systems are low and we will not be able to fight another infection.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
From what I read there's no immediate danger of coronavirus affecting this country, but having watched my OH struggle with one thing after another last winter you have my sympathy and empathy. I hope you are both better soon @Alex54.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
It seems that the incubation period is quite long, 2 weeks, so I think it's going to be difficult to control. But the authorities here in Australia have gone to extreme lengths to isolate infected people and potential sufferers.

It's good advice about keeping hands clean etc, and those little hand sanitizers are great for this sort of thing.

I am curious though why there have been so few deaths outside of China.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
The NHS advert iso saying use soap and water as a lot better than the alcohol gel. I've read in health articles over several years that hand sanitiser isn't as effective as soap and pointed this out to dau. Every teenage girl has at least one sanitiser in their handbag.

My work colleague lives about half a mile from arrowe park. She is in a different office. She said the biggest issue for residents at the moment is TV vans have occupied a lot of the hospital parking spaces .

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
A Chinese doctor who tried to raise the alarm about the new coronavirus before it was even identified was threatened by his government to stop "making false comments." He has since been diagnosed with the illness himself and is being lauded on Chinese social media as a hero for speaking out.

BBC News reports that ophthalmologist Li Wenliang, who works at one of the main hospitals in the epicenter city of Wuhan, noticed a cluster of cases of a flu-like illness near the end of December that appeared to him to be similar to the SARS virus that swept across the world in 2003. He sent a message to fellow clinicians on a group chat warning them to don protective clothing.

BBC News said, just four days later, officials visited him and accused him of having "severely disturbed the social order." They presented him with an official letter, stating: "We solemnly warn you: If you keep being stubborn, with such impertinence, and continue this illegal activity, you will be brought to justice — is that understood?" He signed it.

A week later he contracted the new coronavirus from a patient he was treating who had glaucoma. He was only diagnosed himself a couple of weeks later, and then on January 30, he posted to China's popular social media app Weibo to confirm he had the virus. That post got thousands of comments, and many Chinese voiced support.

"Dr Li Wenliang is a hero," one person wrote, expressing concern that the government's handling of his honesty could scare other Chinese health professionals. "In the future, doctors will be more afraid to issue early warnings when they find signs of infectious diseases."

The coronavirus has continued to spread worldwide, with more than 20,500 confirmed cases and at least 427 deaths. The vast majority of the infections, and all but two of the deaths, were in mainland China. The World Health Organization has declared a global health emergency.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
The NHS advert iso saying use soap and water as a lot better than the alcohol gel. I've read in health articles over several years that hand sanitiser isn't as effective as soap and pointed this out to dau. Every teenage girl has at least one sanitiser in their handbag.

My work colleague lives about half a mile from arrowe park. She is in a different office. She said the biggest issue for residents at the moment is TV vans have occupied a lot of the hospital parking spaces .
I agree that lovely soapy water is the best but sometimes that is not always available and that's when sanitizers come into their own. And often it's the crowded places that they are really good.