DNR

prittlewell

Jan 28, 2020
Mum has a DNR in place at her care home. I mentioned this to one of the staff and they were not aware.

Hypothetically, if Mum suffered a heart attack and they did not abide by the DNR and used a defibrillater etc, would I be able to take legal action against the home?

The point being, if Mum passed, the home fees would stop. If they went against the DNR and resuscitated her, then she could be liable for many £000’s more in home fees.

This question is more out of curiosity than I expect it to happen, as I have now made the home fully aware of the DNR.

I should also make it clear that Mum always said she did not want to end up in a home, and every night she went to bed (before the dementia set in 6 years ago) she prayed not to wake up so she could be with my Dad who died in 1986.

prittlewell

Jan 28, 2020
Hello @prittlewell and a warm welcome to DTP
My husband had a DNR and when he had a heart attack the CH called the ambulance but there was no intervention.
I hope this helps

Thank you.

I hope they do abide by the DNR, but I would be interested in what would happen if they ignored it, or a new member of staff did not know it was in the file, as the care home has been lapse in other things previously.