help and info

belushis

Jan 27, 2020
My father has been diagnosed with dementia,he is in america at the moment but is on an emergency flight visa landing saturday morning,i cannot accomadate him as i only have a small one bedroom flat and im married,what can i do to get him into some sort of hospice or care home quickly,any help or info would be amazing as i have no idea what to do

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My father has been diagnosed with dementia,he is in america at the moment but is on an emergency flight visa landing saturday morning,i cannot accomadate him as i only have a small one bedroom flat and im married,what can i do to get him into some sort of hospice or care home quickly,any help or info would be amazing as i have no idea what to do
Welcome and others will be along soon with better advice, but to clarify, are you saying your father is a UK citizen or American? Do you have power of attorney? You may need to give some more background information to get meaningful responses from forum members

belushis

Jan 27, 2020
Welcome and others will be along soon with better advice, but to clarify, are you saying your father is a UK citizen or American? Do you have power of attorney? You may need to give some more background information to get meaningful responses from forum members
hes a british citzen and no i dont have power off attorney

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think we need some more background as the circumstances behind him coming back
How long has he lived in US? What made him come back? Who arranged for him to come back? Does he have the finances to move into a care home or similar? Does anybody have POA?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
hes a british citzen and no i dont have power off attorney
Does he have assets or a property in UK? Has been diagnosed/assessed here or USA? What is his expectation of what's going to happen? Sorry but dealing with dementia depends sometimes on person's funding ability

belushis

Jan 27, 2020
I think we need some more background as the circumstances behind him coming back
How long has he lived in US? What made him come back? Who arranged for him to come back? Does he have the finances to move into a care home or similar? Does anybody have POA?
hes lived there for about 15 years,hes coming back because he has dementia,the british consulate are arranging flights,he doesnt have any finances from what i can gather and no we dont have poa yet as my brother is flying out on tuesday,this has all happened very fast and we didnt know anything about till 4 weeks ago

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Has anyone organised any kind of short term accommodation for him? Is he going to be self-funding or will he need the input of social services? I can tell you one thing, they will not be acting fast, and they will need to assess your Dad in person and do a financial assessment before they can place him anywhere, if they agree that he needs a care home. To be fair, even if you don't need social services, care homes will need to do an assessment too, and six days is pushing it in finding good ones, going to check them out and booking them, if they have room that is.

belushis

Jan 27, 2020
Does he have assets or a property in UK? Has been diagnosed/assessed here or USA? What is his expectation of what's going to happen? Sorry but dealing with dementia depends sometimes on person's funding ability
He has no assets at all,he was diagnosed in USA,his expectations not a clue,haven't been able to talk to him in months

belushis

Jan 27, 2020
Has anyone organised any kind of short term accommodation for him? Is he going to be self-funding or will he need the input of social services? I can tell you one thing, they will not be acting fast, and they will need to assess your Dad in person and do a financial assessment before they can place him anywhere, if they agree that he needs a care home. To be fair, even if you don't need social services, care homes will need to do an assessment too, and six days is pushing it in finding good ones, going to check them out and booking them, if they have room that is.
He will need social help

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You will need accommodation for him - don't expect Social Services to assist him on a Saturday, and you can't dump him in hospital. A&E isn't really there for check-ups, and the waiting times are horrendous, so I'm a bit perplexed as to how you see that working out. You will need to get him into the system first, register him with a GP, and have the diagnosis repeated/confirmed, which might take months. If I was you I would call Social Services tomorrow morning and tell them the story, see what they say you should do.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
He's getting to me Saturday morning,I'm taking him straight to hospital to get a full once over,we have no real idea of what state hes in,he will need social care as we don't have room for him,he's very old and we can't look after him

I'm not sure how A and E is going to help. Hospitals are not good places anyway for persons with dementia. The hospital will say that your father should be registered with a GP which requires an address. No social worker on a Saturday is going to provide instant social care. This process of assessments takes months and to be frank, I would suggest that your father needs to be "ordinarily resident " in the UK to access social services input and claim any relevant benefits. This means an address in the UK. I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, however this advice is borne out of my own experience and those many forum members who have a vast knowledge of dealing with this illness.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I agree with Rosettastone57 - it's not realistic to get off a plane and expect the NHS to take over immediately. It's not how it works. You need to have a temporary solution first, and you need somewhere for him to live.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
You may need to resort to something like the Salvation Army. I know here in Australia there are a tiny handful of charities who can offer emergency support. They might be able to give you some advice if not emergency accommodation, give you some suggestions about who else could help you.

You are in a right pickle.