LPA Certificate provider

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
I am following overwhelming advice to do the LPA documents online rather than via a solicitor. Could I ask who is it best to be the certificate provider? My mum doesn't really have close friends any more, but there is someone who visits her quite regularly and I am sure she would be happy to sign once she is confident Mum knows what she is doing. We are planning on doing Dad's at the same time to make the process easier.

Or, would it be better to go with a doctor, which might take longer? Not sure if you can get a dr out to do this - there's no chance Mum will go to the doctor even if she gets a diagnosis in the coming weeks.

Thank you for any advice.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
I am following overwhelming advice to do the LPA documents online rather than via a solicitor. Could I ask who is it best to be the certificate provider? My mum doesn't really have close friends any more, but there is someone who visits her quite regularly and I am sure she would be happy to sign once she is confident Mum knows what she is doing. We are planning on doing Dad's at the same time to make the process easier.

Or, would it be better to go with a doctor, which might take longer? Not sure if you can get a dr out to do this - there's no chance Mum will go to the doctor even if she gets a diagnosis in the coming weeks.

Thank you for any advice.

Personally I would use the friend who visits. Our GP doesn't provide that service. We used a neighbour for my mother-in-law, which was accepted ok

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Most doctors shy away from this service in my experience. A friend who has known her more than two years and is willing to do it will be perfect.

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
Thank you Beate - that’s really good to know.
Yep we just used a neighbour and all was fine. LPA finally came through yesterday.
Word of warning - we did it ourselves but it was rejected first time because we’d dated the signatures in the wrong order. I can’t remember exactly what went wrong - please double and triple check the instructions about which page should be signed in what order.

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
Thanks PoppyM - that was bad luck. Will double check the signatures. Can I ask how long it took to come through when amended?

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
Thanks PoppyM - that was bad luck. Will double check the signatures. Can I ask how long it took to come through when amended?

I think we finally sent it all off (2nd time!) mid November. You aren’t allowed to amend, you have to redo whole thing!
We got a letter to confirm it was going ahead in December, which said we would receive final certificate mid-end of January. It arrived on Friday.
In the end I think if you make sure all signatures have the same date (attorneys, donors, certificate provider) it should be ok, but do check Good luck. It is perfectly doable without a solicitor, and still cheaper even with our mistake!

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I'm in the middle of completing my own LPAs online and I found it quite easy. Once I got to the end of the form, which did include adding the details of the person certifying that I had capacity ( a friend) I was able to patient the whole document out. I then had to send the relevant pages to my two children who will be my attorneys as neither live close to me. The forms are saved so you can go back to them later if necessary.

There are very clear instructions about the date order the various sheets need signing and I followed it, I just need my son to return his signature with the witness then I can sign the final page and post it off.

Hopefully I will have done everything correctly!

PollyM

Dec 7, 2019
I'm in the middle of completing my own LPAs online and I found it quite easy. Once I got to the end of the form, which did include adding the details of the person certifying that I had capacity ( a friend) I was able to patient the whole document out. I then had to send the relevant pages to my two children who will be my attorneys as neither live close to me. The forms are saved so you can go back to them later if necessary.

There are very clear instructions about the date order the various sheets need signing and I followed it, I just need my son to return his signature with the witness then I can sign the final page and post it off.

Hopefully I will have done everything correctly!

I’m sure you will be fine ... it made sense when dad looked at the instructions after it came back

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976