New care home

Nandi

Mar 20, 2018
Grimsby
My husband nhas been in new care home since November and seemed very settled but now wants to exit and walk home not that he knows where home is.he is very bored as other residents are unable to hold conversations as such and he does it take part in activities I don't know what to do I can't keep moving him .

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Nandi

Discuss this with the care home manager. There might be some ways of overcoming your husband`s boredom, perhaps by finding ways he can believe he is being of use by helping the staff.

I don`t want you to think I`m suggesting he becomes an unpaid help but helping staff might provide more interaction with people who can communicate and give your husband some satisfaction he is being of use.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
My husband nhas been in new care home since November and seemed very settled but now wants to exit and walk home not that he knows where home is.he is very bored as other residents are unable to hold conversations as such and he does it take part in activities I don't know what to do I can't keep moving him .
This is what worries me if I were to put my partner into a care home, he always complains of being bored when he goes to a day care centre. Mind you he complains of being bored at home too and the only time he seems content is when we go out somewhere, shopping or walk around the park or if I find jobs for him to do. What can you do with them when there are only limited things they are capable of doing but wanting to be busy. Sorry no help to you.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
My brothers FIL is in a similar situation. He was an architect and believes the home is a hotel he built. Most of the other residents are not very communicative but he enjoys walking around with the staff "supervising" them or giving an occasional helping hand. The staff are quite happy with this