marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Saw this film today. A photographic and artistic masterpiece. I am overwhelmed with the simplicity of the plot and the sheer magnificence of how it was made.

I note the young actor George Mackay is not up for anOscar although many other nominations are being made. He is head and shoulders above some of the other nominees. Breathtaking. If you only like romances then don’t bother but if you loved the Revenant you will love this.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I know both my children saw the TV ads and wanted to see it, just checked the age cert and looks like son will have to wait 6 months (I realise it won't still be in cinemas then), although I know he has got into a 15 film at our local cinema before.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
My 15 year old grandson went with his sister and mother at the weekend and loved it. It brings the reality of the war home in a way history lessons just can’t do.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My friend’s daughter is an artist in London and worked on the set of the film! She has worked on lots of big films.

martybee

Jan 13, 2020
I thought we'd seen all the first World War films we needed to see last decade, there were so many of them: "Journey's End" "Passchendale" War Horse" "Private Peaceful" etc. etc. and along comes yet another one...

Well I can't wait to see it, given that my newspaper tells me it netted $36.5 million (£23 million)
in box office takings in just its first weekend of opening at 3,434 cinemas in USA.

That's more money than Star Wars including the recent Luke Skywalker film...and about time too.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yes, I would like to see this film. I feel that the horrors of World War I are being forgotten and we need reminding. Just looking at the monuments for both World Wars shows that there were many more military casualties in World War I in the UK and Canada..

martybee

Jan 13, 2020
Yes, I would like to see this film. I feel that the horrors of World War I are being forgotten and we need reminding. Just looking at the monuments for both World Wars shows that there were many more military casualties in World War I in the UK and Canada..

Not to mention other horrors barely mentioned, e.g. did you know that USA has not paid 1 cent in compensation to Vietnam since the devastation caused there which sill persists today with Agent Orange ?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Everyone who’s seen this since I first mentioned it has been blown away by how well it has been filmed. A lot of films disappear out of your head as fast as you leave the cinema. I’m still thinking about various moments now. The best I’ve seen in a long time