Has anyone experienced Donepezil actually make things worse?

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
My husband was given Aricept when he was first diagnosed in 2016, but he developed severe leg cramps and I spoke to the Memory Clinic about it, and they changed him onto Rivastigmine. In 2018, the mental health doctor put him on Memantine and he still takes them. Of course, we have no idea whether they are doing any good, as the disease progresses and every day can be different. We have gone through several stages of agitation, he believes his wife left one night and now he says she’s dead! (We’ve been together nearly 40 years). I seem to have slotted in to her place. I still can’t get used to the idea of not discussing things with him as we have always done, so I end up telling him things but either getting a blank stare back or a refusal to cooperate!!

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
We have just had the same situation with my sons Nan, they increased her dose to 10mg 2 weeks ago and it had loads of side effects, she became incontinent (urine) had accident with her bowels, she was behaving very oddly, and became very aggressive and more confused, I phoned her nurse and she agreed that we should put her back down to 5mg luckily I had some in the house so did it straight away, you should not have to wait to see the consultant for this to be done, has he got a nurse allocated to him if so speak to them, they can d’action the change for you take care x
We have just had the same situation with my sons Nan, they increased her dose to 10mg 2 weeks ago and it had loads of side effects, she became incontinent (urine) had accident with her bowels, she was behaving very oddly, and became very aggressive and more confused, I phoned her nurse and she agreed that we should put her back down to 5mg luckily I had some in the house so did it straight away, you should not have to wait to see the consultant for this to be done, has he got a nurse allocated to him if so speak to them, they can d’action the change for you take care x
My husband was given Aricept when he was first diagnosed in 2016, but he developed severe leg cramps and I spoke to the Memory Clinic about it, and they changed him onto Rivastigmine. In 2018, the mental health doctor put him on Memantine and he still takes them. Of course, we have no idea whether they are doing any good, as the disease progresses and every day can be different. We have gone through several stages of agitation, he believes his wife left one night and now he says she’s dead! (We’ve been together nearly 40 years). I seem to have slotted in to her place. I still can’t get used to the idea of not discussing things with him as we have always done, so I end up telling him things but either getting a blank stare back or a refusal to cooperate!!
Memantine is the drug my dad will be started on starting with one week of 5mg up to 20mg in the ist month. I pray he has no horible side effects like with the other and it's just awful not knowing if you are doing the right thing ,but if he experiences anything the same I will stop straight away. If he's calmer without them then there is no point .

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
Memantine is the drug my dad will be started on starting with one week of 5mg up to 20mg in the ist month. I pray he has no horible side effects like with the other and it's just awful not knowing if you are doing the right thing ,but if he experiences anything the same I will stop straight away. If he's calmer without them then there is no point .
My husband was put on Memantine when diagnosed 18 months ago and does not appear to have had any bad side effects and in fact seems calmer. Hope very much that it suits your LO.

Help!

Sep 23, 2019
My husband was put on Memantine when diagnosed 18 months ago and does not appear to have had any bad side effects and in fact seems calmer. Hope very much that it suits your LO.
thankyou that's good to hear and really hope it does the same for my dad.