Sudden turn for worst...is this it?

Pootle23

Oct 21, 2019
Hi, I’m probably looking for answers that I’m not going to find but ..Dad who is in Care home has taken a sudden turn for worst. He has gone from being out with me one day had a good lunch the usual confusion and some random behaviour probably a bit more unsteady to the previous time we had been out .To the next day sleeping more than awake, not speaking unable to stand let alone walk, unable to feed himself. Just slumped in chair and has not improve at all since, he is now in his bed.Has had various Dr visits over last week and a half since this has begun no infections usual checks heart, chest, water, blood etc all showing no reason for decline. So my question is are we at the rapid acceleration of the Dementia. Has he given up who could blame him.
How long do people continue to live like this he is barely eating or drinking not taking all tablets.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My dad took a sudden turn for the worst at the end of last year and I didn’t think it was near the end but it was. I’ve read of others bouncing back time after time so I’m afraid it is a bit of a “how long is a piece of string” question.

Having said that dad also had a couple of times over the year when I thought the end was nigh...and it wasn’t

I hope you’re ok

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi, I’m probably looking for answers that I’m not going to find but ..Dad who is in Care home has taken a sudden turn for worst. He has gone from being out with me one day had a good lunch the usual confusion and some random behaviour probably a bit more unsteady to the previous time we had been out .To the next day sleeping more than awake, not speaking unable to stand let alone walk, unable to feed himself. Just slumped in chair and has not improve at all since, he is now in his bed.Has had various Dr visits over last week and a half since this has begun no infections usual checks heart, chest, water, blood etc all showing no reason for decline. So my question is are we at the rapid acceleration of the Dementia. Has he given up who could blame him.
How long do people continue to live like this he is barely eating or drinking not taking all tablets.

I am amazed at how little Dad eats or drinks, meds were withdrawn over two months ago & still Dad is with us though fading daily. The sleeping is 23 out of 24 hours! It’s a torturous decline to witness but he seems to be content & relatively pain free
Oromorph & morphine patch obviously doing its job.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad sleeps 20 hours a day, medications withdrawn months ago. Can get from his bedroom to the bathroom and his living room chair with directions from me. He does however still eat whatever I give him.

I don't think dad is going anywhere soon.

Pootle23

Oct 21, 2019
Thankyou for your replies not sure if they were what I wanted to hear but !! Visited Dad today my sister had been yesterday. Dad is now in bed has been since Thursday. Eating very little and some fluids. I have a telephone appointment with Dr on Monday I shall be asking about the withdrawal of meds. It’s so cruel to see my dear Dad like this I can’t bere to see this to continue for months on end.

ladysuisei

Nov 13, 2019
My mother was diagnosed over 13 years ago. The progression to late stage was swift- within 3 years bedbound. So we have been battling these types of scenarios for around 9 years ( maybe 7 for actual late stage? )
I cannot see how my mother carries on. She has complex physical illnesses possibly a complication of Alzheimer’s- who knows? She’s too unwell to be given any diagnostic tests , so we’re on guesswork here. She’s in palliative care now and has been for around a year. Her swallowing reflex is extremely weak and she chokes on a regular basis. My real problem is that my mother is at home ( dad main carer) and my father is in denial if the seriousness of continuing trying to get my mother to eat large amounts of food. The SALT team have assessed severe risk of aspiration and I am hoping that now the gp has the report, then some intervention may happen. Sadly it appears to be common to experience these scary episodes, but often the person will bounce back. It’s a difficult question to answer as to whether this indicates a massive decline- it could be something like an infection responsible for this episode of worstening symptoms.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thankyou for your replies not sure if they were what I wanted to hear but !! Visited Dad today my sister had been yesterday. Dad is now in bed has been since Thursday. Eating very little and some fluids. I have a telephone appointment with Dr on Monday I shall be asking about the withdrawal of meds. It’s so cruel to see my dear Dad like this I can’t bere to see this to continue for months on end.
I’m afraid it’s like a piece of string of unknown length. take care
X

Jakblack

Apr 9, 2018
My mother was diagnosed over 13 years ago. The progression to late stage was swift- within 3 years bedbound. So we have been battling these types of scenarios for around 9 years ( maybe 7 for actual late stage? )
I cannot see how my mother carries on. She has complex physical illnesses possibly a complication of Alzheimer’s- who knows? She’s too unwell to be given any diagnostic tests , so we’re on guesswork here. She’s in palliative care now and has been for around a year. Her swallowing reflex is extremely weak and she chokes on a regular basis. My real problem is that my mother is at home ( dad main carer) and my father is in denial if the seriousness of continuing trying to get my mother to eat large amounts of food. The SALT team have assessed severe risk of aspiration and I am hoping that now the gp has the report, then some intervention may happen. Sadly it appears to be common to experience these scary episodes, but often the person will bounce back. It’s a difficult question to answer as to whether this indicates a massive decline- it could be something like an infection responsible for this episode of worstening symptoms.

Jakblack

Apr 9, 2018
Sounds like you are in a similar situation to us. My mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia 2015. She seemed to enjoy Christmas Day with the family but life has been down hill since; to the point where I thought she was passing.
It’s so hard to judge if she’s just exhausted or poorly needing medical attention or it the cruelty of dementia.
My 80 year old dad is her carer ad will not accept external help. Yesterday it took both of us to get her up and down the stairs (stair lift) where as she has been doing this before independently.
Going to call doctors to see if I can get home visit ‍♀️

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I hope your mum is ok @Jakblack

I’ve just come down with a post-Christmas cold. It’s a bit of a tradition in our house that someone gets ill around Christmas! Hopefully it’s just an infection and your mum’ll soon bounce back. Let us know.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Sounds like you are in a similar situation to us. My mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia 2015. She seemed to enjoy Christmas Day with the family but life has been down hill since; to the point where I thought she was passing.
It’s so hard to judge if she’s just exhausted or poorly needing medical attention or it the cruelty of dementia.
My 80 year old dad is her carer ad will not accept external help. Yesterday it took both of us to get her up and down the stairs (stair lift) where as she has been doing this before independently.
Going to call doctors to see if I can get home visit ‍♀️
Hope you got some answers from the GP, it does sound as if your Dads wishes are dominating what should be care of your Mum & her best interests.
Difficult situation, I speak from experience.
I hope that this is just a mild infection & your mum soon picks up.
Keep posting
((((((Hugs)))))

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynt68