I've been too long in the wind, too long in the rain

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Tonight's much anticipated concert by Chris Farlowe and the Norman Beaker band lived up to my expectations. Now in his 80th year, Farlowe's voice may not be as strong as it was but he still knows how to put on a good show. I couldn't help but think back to the last time we saw him together when my wife's dementia had not taken over her personality in the way it now has. It was especially moving to meet her hairdresser of 25 years plus. He naturally asked after her and asked me to pass on his best wishes next time I visit. I was touched when he said that she had been missed and that the salon hadn't been the same since she stopped going. A lovely but poignant evening out. "Loving Arms" was just one of the many songs that evoked a flood of good memories.

"If I could hold you now
Just for a moment
I could really make you mine
Just for a while
Turn back the hands of time
If I could only hold you now ..."

Last edited:

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Never been one for concerts although always loved music around me but now, with wall to wall ClassicTV repeats on the TV constantly getting chances to listen in peace is difficult. A number of carer groups in my area are holding various concerts and sing a longs and I really want to try them but not sure it is worth the hassle I will get before and after as her moods lately are ultra critical and constant complaints, ah well.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Goodness I've had such an awful week, I shouldn't have read those lyrics, now in tears again!!! My partner poohed in his pants today, a new low, so how to remember the love we had when all that's left is this horrendous disease and wiping a grown man's bottom.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I'm sorry to hear your troubles @White Rose but it is because of the love we still have for our partners that we are able to deal with what dementia throws our way. I hope that you have a better weekend.

Last edited:

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
so how to remember the love we had when all that's left is this horrendous disease and wiping a grown man's bottom.
When my husband had his fall the other day, he did mess himself and I had to clean him off in the shower. At no time could I even think about the love of husband/wife while I did it. I'd never have been able to do it if I did. It was just like cleaning up a over-sized toddler.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
When my husband had his fall the other day, he did mess himself and I had to clean him off in the shower. At no time could I even think about the love of husband/wife while I did it. I'd never have been able to do it if I did. It was just like cleaning up a over-sized toddler.
It feels like that chapter of our lives and that old relationship is closed and it's just a job now!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonkeyFeet