Wheezing / Coughing / Change of Voice

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Hello everyone,

Dad's in late stage alzheimers. This morning dad's woken up quite wheezy and phlegmy. His voice has changed so that it's quite small. When I tried to give him his pills with water he coughed quite a lot.

He had a few days like this at his respite home, and the nurses didn't seem too worried. Then he was fine and his usual bright self again. We had the GP out to see him a few days ago when he got out of respite and he checked him over and gave him the thumbs up generally.

I know you guys aren't doctors but am wondering if you would be calling the GP? Is it something that's quite "normal" in PWD to have a few days where they're sleepy and coughing and wheezing but then to be fine again? When there's so much going on it's hard to know what to worry about over all the rest. Thank you.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Kay111. My dad didn’t cough unless he was ill and wheezing doesn’t sound great. It’s probably just a cold or something but I’d definitely call 111 if I was worried he was getting worse. Better safe than sorry.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hello everyone,

Dad's in late stage alzheimers. This morning dad's woken up quite wheezy and phlegmy. His voice has changed so that it's quite small. When I tried to give him his pills with water he coughed quite a lot.

He had a few days like this at his respite home, and the nurses didn't seem too worried. Then he was fine and his usual bright self again. We had the GP out to see him a few days ago when he got out of respite and he checked him over and gave him the thumbs up generally.

I know you guys aren't doctors but am wondering if you would be calling the GP? Is it something that's quite "normal" in PWD to have a few days where they're sleepy and coughing and wheezing but then to be fine again? When there's so much going on it's hard to know what to worry about over all the rest. Thank you.
Is he on thickener?? Puréed food? The reason I ask maybe something has gone down the wrong way and could be in the lungs.. Just keep an eye . Check his temperature as well. If in doubt phone 111.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Bunpoots - hmm...okay, I will see how he is at dinner with his food and if coughing lots maybe give 111 a call. He seemed better this afternoon for a while, but is now wheezing a bit again. @TNJJ - no, he's not on any thickener or pureed food. He was eating fine without coughing up until a week or so ago. No temperature at the moment.

It's just weird because he had this when he was in respite for a couple of days but the nurses didn't look worried. And afterwards he was really perky again and eating normally. It's so stressful always wondering if something's an actual problem or not.