Mother-in-law hearing things?

Ton3

Dec 2, 2019
My Mother-in-law has been diagnosed with mixed/vascular dementia which she has not accepted and will not discuss any aspect of it and got really angry when the subject of power of attorney was mentioned. We do not know whether she is simply in denial or this denial is part of her dementia? Recently she has mentioned getting phone calls and this morning she called us at 05.30.am to ask if we had been calling her as her phone had been ringing since 3.00.am when my wife went to her house she checked the call records and the last call had been from us the previous afternoon so there had been no calls since. We just don't know if she is dreaming or imagining the phone is ringing? does anybody else have any similar experience of this? There is a lot more for me to discuss with regards to her condition but will leave for another post.
Many Thanks for any comments, already I have found it good to read others stories.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When mum came and stayed with me at when I first realised that she had dementia she woke me every half an hour throughout the night claiming that there were "all those noises in the kitchen". Needless to say, when I got up and we went downstairs she agreed that there was nothing.

I assumed it part of the dementia.

Ton3

Dec 2, 2019
Thanks Canary & CanadianJoanne It looks as though this is another of dementias evil tricks, not easy to deal with when the person suffering wont admit there is a problem and insists everything is fine and the phone has actually been ringing. I suppose we just have to expect calls at all hours now asking if we have called? Not easy when you have a full time job and cant get a good nights sleep at the best of times but the person you love comes before your own well being at times even though sadly they will rely on you being and staying well, tough times indeed.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
My mum definitely heard things that couldn't possibly be happening. I went along with it because there'd been no dementia diagnose at the time. I thought it was weird but accepted what she was saying - later I realised most of the noise/sounds thing must have been down an abberation in the way her brain had started to work. Funnily (?) enough I used to hear tv sports/news broadcast when I was in bed, and the only person in the house, and I knew the tv wasn't on. This stopped happening after I came off antidepressents.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
My mum definitely heard things that couldn't possibly be happening. I went along with it because there'd been no dementia diagnose at the time. I thought it was weird but accepted what she was saying - later I realised most of the noise/sounds thing must have been down an abberation in the way her brain had started to work. Funnily (?) enough I used to hear tv sports/news broadcast when I was in bed, and the only person in the house, and I knew the tv wasn't on. This stopped happening after I came off antidepressents.
During the night my husband has often said that are there are men outside shouting at him. Sometimes, the doctor changes his medication and the shouting disappears for a while, but tends to return. Coincidentally, my mother, who didn’t have dementia used to say the phone was ringing in the night and sometimes people would be ringing the doorbell early in the morning. She was on sedatives, so maybe that’s the link.

Ton3

Dec 2, 2019
Thanks for the replies.
The experiences of others is so helpful and I am so glad I joined this group. i want to support my wife and Mother-in-law as best I can so all the help and advice is very much appreciated. Such a tough time for everybody going through this awful illness. My wifes words "I could cope with any other disease but this one" So sad but very true in many ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana8455