Hello, yes, I'm the daughter

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Quick update - Dad still refusing to eat at the proper times, latest explanation is that I've ordered him food but it may be late as it's coming from Australia. I think this is a conflation of me having ordered him meals on wheels before and also the whole ongoing Australia thing.

I've ordered him a Doro watch as a GPS tracker. I got it and set it up and did the geo fence and everything. I posted it off and it arrived yesterday but I believe it has yet to be placed on his wrist.

I registered him to vote.

I referred myself to mental health services.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Quick update - Dad still refusing to eat at the proper times, latest explanation is that I've ordered him food but it may be late as it's coming from Australia. I think this is a conflation of me having ordered him meals on wheels before and also the whole ongoing Australia thing.

I've ordered him a Doro watch as a GPS tracker. I got it and set it up and did the geo fence and everything. I posted it off and it arrived yesterday but I believe it has yet to be placed on his wrist.

I registered him to vote.

I referred myself to mental health services.
I think I might be doing the same with the Mental Health Services as I’m feeling close to the edge again!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I think I might be doing the same with the Mental Health Services as I’m feeling close to the edge again!
Well I think you should. There's a waiting list but any resources you can get have to be something: they offer courses, or 121 therapy, obviously there's a wait for that but I think it's probably worth it.

I have coped exceptionally well, I think, but recently it seems to be catching up with me physically - I've broken several fillings so far this year and am grinding my teeth whenever I fall asleep now.

Of course I'm not a high priority and it will be 2020 before anything actually happens. I am finding I'm avoiding thinking about it all (I mean, who wouldn't?) but whenever I do I feel really down. Dad isn't the only thing going on either, my nan was unwell and don't get me started on work over the last couple of years - I've got a new role and I've struggled to adjust to it after the last one. At least my husband is brilliant but he hates how hard I am on myself. I have to help myself too otherwise I'll be no help to Dad whatsoever. Problem is finding the time.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Well I think you should. There's a waiting list but any resources you can get have to be something: they offer courses, or 121 therapy, obviously there's a wait for that but I think it's probably worth it.

I have coped exceptionally well, I think, but recently it seems to be catching up with me physically - I've broken several fillings so far this year and am grinding my teeth whenever I fall asleep now.

Of course I'm not a high priority and it will be 2020 before anything actually happens. I am finding I'm avoiding thinking about it all (I mean, who wouldn't?) but whenever I do I feel really down. Dad isn't the only thing going on either, my nan was unwell and don't get me started on work over the last couple of years - I've got a new role and I've struggled to adjust to it after the last one. At least my husband is brilliant but he hates how hard I am on myself. I have to help myself too otherwise I'll be no help to Dad whatsoever. Problem is finding the time.
That’s true. I don’t have a husband or any siblings.I do have children but the boys live away but my daughter stops at my house when I stop over at mums.
But she is also ill so maybe that is why I feel stressed..

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Oh bless you
Large G&T & a good film - or if you are like me warm drink & a very early night !
It’s not fair that the system doesn’t help those that need it & you have to force the SS hand to access support! Only this year the SW told me to sit back & let the crisis happen! I did & it was horrible but mum now has the help she needs!

stay strong lovely
X

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
That’s true. I don’t have a husband or any siblings.I do have children but the boys live away but my daughter stops at my house when I stop over at mums.
But she is also ill so maybe that is why I feel stressed..

it’s hard prioritising everything. xx

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
it’s hard prioritising everything. xx
It is..I’m going to take more care of my mum who is further on her journey of heart failure.She nearly collapsed last week..
So dad has lots of help .If he doesn’t like the situation he can change it.Mum doesn’t have dementia and is very much a “full” personality where dad is a glass half “empty.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
It is..I’m going to take more care of my mum who is further on her journey of heart failure.She nearly collapsed last week..
So dad has lots of help .If he doesn’t like the situation he can change it.Mum doesn’t have dementia and is very much a “full” personality where dad is a glass half “empty.

your mum sounds lovely, I’m sorry about her poor health. Enjoy time together, you have been extremely tolerant of your Dads quirks but enough is enough!

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I am getting rid of a few clothes and found the Christmas newborn set Dad bought last year when being quite random in Tesco. There's a coat too that will possibly fit our friend's baby but the newborn outfit I'm going to take to a local charity that kits out expectant families who can't afford the John Lewis lists and pram 'systems' many of their neighbours can.

I asked around about what to do before deciding and a lot of people old me to keep the outfit for a doll to give to dad. Some seemed almost convinced that a doll can cure dementia!

Obviously some PWD find cuddly toys and dolls soothing, and I think I will buy him a tabby cat like one we used to have, but I think the clothes should go to a real baby.

I feel like those people who get told their illness could be cured by apple cider vinegar! It's not even my illness! Just having a small rant, it got right on my wick.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I went to the donation centre today and they seemed to find the baby clothes quite sweet and have promised to find them a home. There were loads of people there sorting out all sorts of stuff so I hope all the families referred there find what they need, and perhaps someone will delight in a new baby with a brand new outfit this Christmas, and dad's gift will have gone to good use.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
That is a lovely thing to do, I'm sure the clothes will go to very good use.
Did you buy your dad a tabby cat?
My mother always had cats and now has about 30 cuddly toys in her room, a diminishing amount of which are actually hers (probably less than half a dozen). She looks like she's running a cuddly toy shop.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
That is a lovely thing to do, I'm sure the clothes will go to very good use.
Did you buy your dad a tabby cat?
My mother always had cats and now has about 30 cuddly toys in her room, a diminishing amount of which are actually hers (probably less than half a dozen). She looks like she's running a cuddly toy shop.

I can just imagine! I had a look for a suitable cat but brown tabby seems to be not a thing so I have ordered a grey one. I have no idea how it will go down!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson