Live in carers

Kennyboy

Oct 31, 2019
hi just wanted to know if anyone on here has opted for live in carers, we need help and looking at the price to put carers in covering the hours we need I’m just wondering if live in carer would be better I know it’s about £900 a week but my sons Nan can afford that, I was just wondering if anyone here has done this and if so could tell me of their experience thanks

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother had carers at home, but not live-in as that was too expensive (she just had 5 or 6 hours a day). It worked very well for a while, they did everything for her - prepared her meals, fed her cat, did her housework, took her shopping, to the park, and to appointments. When she started needing help with washing and dressing they did that too. But when she needed supervision 24/7 I moved her to a care home.

I think all you can do is try it and see how you get on. How well it works depends on the agency and the carers they use, and whether your relative is prepared to co-operate with them. Are you sure she needs someone there full time - can she not be left alone at all?

I found my mother's care agency by googling 'dementia care at home' and then the location. The manager will assess your relative and talk to you to ascertain what care is required.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Hi try googling care quality Commission they have lists of care agency etc with rating if they rated them also another one is carehome .co.uk

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Hi try googling care quality Commission they have lists of care agency etc with rating if they rated them also another one is carehome .co.uk

As far as I know, carehome.co.uk (which is very good) only lists care homes, not care agencies.

MTM

Jun 2, 2018
Live in carers worked well for my Mum and Dad, although down in Sussex they are more like 1,100 a week. My Dad became very abusive so we needed two teams in the end which put the price u to more like 1,500 because they all needed breaks from it. Eventually, he needed to go into a home but it entirely depends on the type of dementia. Mum is fine on her own for some of the day so we have stuck with the local team for her because they drive and she’s still quite socially active. Both groups of carers are absolutely lovely.

Kennyboy

Oct 31, 2019
Live in carers worked well for my Mum and Dad, although down in Sussex they are more like 1,100 a week. My Dad became very abusive so we needed two teams in the end which put the price u to more like 1,500 because they all needed breaks from it. Eventually, he needed to go into a home but it entirely depends on the type of dementia. Mum is fine on her own for some of the day so we have stuck with the local team for her because they drive and she’s still quite socially active. Both groups of carers are absolutely lovely.
Hi thanks for your reply so good to know that this worked out well for your parents, I think we will definitely go down this route as my sons Nan wants to stay in her own home and we all want her to have her wishes met for as long as possible, we have found a good firm locally with very good reviews and reputation, they are starting this week 2 afternoons and the weekend the weekend is the most difficult time, the boys have young families and after a long working week they want to spend time with their families we are looking after their Nan through the week days and nights so we need the weekend in our own home so we can have a break. We are struggling as I have a number of serious health issues, so I think by Christmas we will have built up the time the carers are attending to 24/7 so we can all benefit, and the boys Nan will be safe and well looked after, really hope their Nan accepts the situation and doesn’t make things difficult for us. Such a horrible illness, I have cared for elderly relatives before with all sorts of physical illnesses and my uncle who had two strokes which changed his personality and could be difficult, but this is a whole new ball game, we can not even watch tv programmes without issue, we had the film Nannie Mcfee on last night she moaned and said it was a terrible film all the way through, I don’t know how anyone could take offence at this film. We have this with nearly every programme which makes unwinding in the evening watching tv impossible.i can’t read as she talks at me all the time I’m trying to read, she just seems to want our constant attention, she has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s but I think she has had it for a number of years and my sons grandfather just buried his head in the sand and pretended that it was not happening so she didn’t go for tests until 6 months ago, thanks again for your reply it helps to know the live in carers worked for you.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Kennyboy TV can be a problem. I no longer attempt to watch a film with dad because he can't follow it. He can only watch things that are in the moment such as quiz shows like the Chase and Who wants to be a millionaire which are shown back to back on certain channels for most of the day. He can just about manage a David Attenborough documentary because they do not need a great attention span but they do have nice scenery and animals.

Dad always watched the news but he just cannot keep up with it now.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@Duggies-girl at my mother's CH the TV is often switched to that quiz-show channel! Either that, or the channel showing 1970s comedies. They also have DVDs of musicals, never anything 'controversial' or likely to worry the residents. As you say, it needs to be something that suits a very short attention span.

Real Life

Nov 27, 2019
hi just wanted to know if anyone on here has opted for live in carers, we need help and looking at the price to put carers in covering the hours we need I’m just wondering if live in carer would be better I know it’s about £900 a week but my sons Nan can afford that, I was just wondering if anyone here has done this and if so could tell me of their experience thanks
We have just started with 24 live in home care.Day care was not an option as the times we needed were too variable. It has been great knowing someone is there all the time. We have a good rota going now and my Mum is very settled. My only advice is find a good agency and avoid the ones that mention money first.I spoke to 4 before i found one i liked.