Mums obsession things we request her to

Wooden top

Nov 22, 2019
Hi,
I’m new to posting on here and not quite sure what I’m doing!!!! I have been caring for my 92year old mum in our home for 7 years, she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2011
This last year has been hard as mums dementia has progressed to having very limited mobility, and very little interaction . What I am finding really distressing is her obsession with her glasses (specs) for the last 3 months every waking moment is taken up with cleaning them,putting them on,stating everything is “blurry”and removing them to start the process again!.I feel I’ve tried everything.From getting her eyes tested, new glasses, removing them from sight, etc. etc. She gets so distressed crying she can’t see. She can read things we have requested her to.Sorry this is a lengthy post but I am becoming desperate . Has anyone experienced similar and more so does anyone have any suggestions?????
Thank you

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum @Wooden top. That's so hard and stressful for you and your mum. My partner has vascular dementia and after a bit of worry her daughter and I finally realised it was the inability to process what she is seeing that causes her reading problems and failure to see off pavements. She, thankfully, accepted that and we just work round when she is out and about. Sorry, that's not much of a solution, but you will find support and more constructive advice on here from others with more experience.

Wooden top

Nov 22, 2019
Welcome to the forum @Wooden top. That's so hard and stressful for you and your mum. My partner has vascular dementia and after a bit of worry her daughter and I finally realised it was the inability to process what she is seeing that causes her reading problems and failure to see off pavements. She, thankfully, accepted that and we just work round when she is out and about. Sorry, that's not much of a solution, but you will find support and more constructive advice on here from others with more experience.

Wooden top

Nov 22, 2019
Thank you nae sporran ,yes mum does have difficulty in processing anything and everything,it’s the inability to try the art of distraction that’s getting to me ,it’s torture seeing her so upset all the time, but the fixation of the glasses never diminishes. Cleanest glasses in the world though.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @Wooden top , welcome from me too. My mum says nearly every day that her eye is blurry and she needs an operation, have taken her to two different opticians and dr and they all say she has perfect vision , I too wholeheartedly agree with @nae sporran , that it is her brain being unable to process what she sees and not her eyesight , she actually complains of something different almost daily .

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Sorry I can’t think of anything different you could do to distract her apart from what you are already doing .sure others will be along with ideas soon . I normally use cake or biscuits as distraction and try and change the subject, doesn’t always work though . It’s so hard isn’t it .

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hi @Wooden top , welcome from me too. My mum says nearly every day that her eye is blurry and she needs an operation, have taken her to two different opticians and dr and they all say she has perfect vision , I too wholeheartedly agree with @nae sporran , that it is her brain being unable to process what she sees and not her eyesight , she actually complains of something different almost daily .

I had all this with mum as well as losing/scratching/breaking her various glasses too.

I solved it by buying her a few plastic magnifiers. The best was about the size of a paperback book, light, clear unbreakable plastic and works brilliantly. Avaialable on eBay and elsewhere...

Wooden top

Nov 22, 2019
Thank you Woohoo,
I wouldn’t mind if it was something different even for 10minutes but I’m very tempted to throw the glasses away
However that still wouldn’t resolve the “can’t see statement” thanks anyway though

Wooden top

Nov 22, 2019
I had all this with mum as well as losing/scratching/breaking her various glasses too.

I solved it by buying her a few plastic magnifiers. The best was about the size of a paperback book, light, clear unbreakable plastic and works brilliantly. Avaialable on eBay and elsewhere...

Wooden top

Nov 22, 2019
Thanks Jaded and faded,
Loving the name !! Unfortunately I have tried the magnifying glasses, it’s really not the fact she can’t see it’s ocd with the cleaning of the glasses , and in her mind they are causing blurred vision but she is able to read perfectly well when asked to.
Thank you though, it’s just nice to talk to others in the same position.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
O

oh I have some of those somewhere , will try them, thanks .