NHS rip off!

Erlucas

Nov 19, 2019
Today I contacted my doctors to obtain a signature for my LPAs. I was informed that the charge was £180.00 and that I had to book a double appointment. I pointed out that I did not require a 20 minute appointment as I was young and fully compus mentos and just needed a signature. I was told it was a legal document. So is a passport form and that is only £30.00. So are they now charging for the assessment, off so why?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Today I contacted my doctors to obtain a signature for my LPAs. I was informed that the charge was £180.00 and that I had to book a double appointment. I pointed out that I did not require a 20 minute appointment as I was young and fully compus mentos and just needed a signature. I was told it was a legal document. So is a passport form and that is only £30.00. So are they now chargin

This is work outside the remit that the NHS will pay for, so any charges are at the disgression of your GP. I would ask them if they will waive their normal fee and reduce it for you -sometimes they will if you approach them nicely

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
In an increasingly litigious society, I believe a lot of doctors now refuse to do LPA validation. It is, after all, a serious business and even £180, minus costs for the practice, isn't a big sum to compensate them for the risk someone might query the validation at a later date. A doctor could be struck off if they get it wrong.

We paid £120 for Mum's LPAs about four years ago, and I think that was for health and financial. Whether the total cost was £120 or £240 I consider it the best money I ever spent from Mum's resources. Life with LPAs is so much simpler than without.

So... I can understand how you feel, given your different circumstances, but they really are doing you a favour. It takes a while to go through the paperwork and a double appointment was definitely required in our case. My Mum was already impaired though, so it had to be methodical.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
In an increasingly litigious society, I believe a lot of doctors now refuse to do LPA validation. It is, after all, a serious business and even £180, minus costs for the practice, isn't a big sum to compensate them for the risk someone might query the validation at a later date. A doctor could be struck off if they get it wrong.

We paid £120 for Mum's LPAs about four years ago, and I think that was for health and financial. Whether the total cost was £120 or £240 I consider it the best money I ever spent from Mum's resources. Life with LPAs is so much simpler than without.

So... I can understand how you feel, given your different circumstances, but they really are doing you a favour. It takes a while to go through the paperwork and a double appointment was definitely required in our case. My Mum was already impaired though, so it had to be methodical.

I was in the same boat sorting out mums affairs plus we had to get a consultant psychiatrist to give an opinion which incurred an extra fee on top. This was a few years ago when mum did have capacity, but it needed to be confirmed so that she could make her own decisions about LPA's. The GP will follow-up any other work that entails after the intial preparation (and fee) and as @Andrew_McP says when they sign these documents they are putting their own professional reputation at risk if they get it wrong. It was money well spent and it came to more than £180

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Mum insisted we use a solicitor when we took out LPA, even though the forms can be validated by anyone, a neighbour would do. We were happy to do it, if it made her happy and it does mean someone has the original documents safe. I totally fudged how much it cost. Mum signed the cheque but as her eyesight is poor she couldn't see that that whole thing cost her about £800.00. Totally worth it in my opinion.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
I wish we had LPA but sadly its not a lawful document in Guernsey and so we do come a cropper as the only other option is Guardianship (which can be contested - here speaks the voice of experience and would have cost £10,000 to try and get it overturned)! We all have to pay for our doctors (no NHS) around £55 a visit these days, the MIL had a fall a few weeks ago, call out for the doctor £127, visit to A&E £80 and an ambulance up to £300 (one way - but did not have to because she had paid her subs for the year). With no disrespect I dont think you are doing to bad in the UK! PS we are not millionaires!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I wish we had LPA but sadly its not a lawful document in Guernsey and so we do come a cropper as the only other option is Guardianship (which can be contested - here speaks the voice of experience and would have cost £10,000 to try and get it overturned)! We all have to pay for our doctors (no NHS) around £55 a visit these days, the MIL had a fall a few weeks ago, call out for the doctor £127, visit to A&E £80 and an ambulance up to £300 (one way - but did not have to because she had paid her subs for the year). With no disrespect I dont think you are doing to bad in the UK! PS we are not millionaires!

that’s shocking! I had no idea.