Managing Change

Mousehill

Nov 28, 2018
There's been a big and rather sudden change of circumstances in mum's house recently and she's not coping well at all. My brother and his son have moved in to live upstairs.

This has just coincided with me being diagnosed with an auto-immune disease that has been affecting me for some time now and coming down with a really nasty cold on top of that, that I don't want mum to catch, so I'm reluctantly keeping away today and letting DH do my visits, which is necessary, but will add to her confusion!

Are there any tips for managing change in the household? We expected her to go downhill, as that's what happened when she went for respite care last year, but I'm worrying because I'm going to have to be firm and stay away, or cut down on my time with her until I am well - otherwise I could be down for a much longer period of time - but it's right at a time when the last thing she needs is more uncertainty and change.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
but it's right at a time when the last thing she needs is more uncertainty and change.

I know and understand but you are important too.

I hope your brother and his son will take some responsibility to ease your concerns.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
There really aren't any tips I can think of. Since your brother has moved in upstairs, I hope this eases your responsibilities to a degree. Would talking to your mother on the phone help or must she see you?

Do take care of yourself properly so that you get well as soon as possible.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I totally sympathise- my immune system lives on another planet at the current moment in time! My cold developed into flu like symptoms & the guilt of not visiting has wracked me!

I can rationalise the situation til the cows come home but it doesn’t stop me from bursting into floods of tears on a regular basis!

so do as I say & not as I do... take care of yourself &stop feeling guilty.
(((((((Hugs))))))))))

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba