Care homes .. what to expect

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
hi care homes .. had experience of two not very good experience.. aunty was in one went in 4 days a week for 8 months to visit her in that time think she ate 2 meals and never had a bath never saw her doing any activities or no care staff really spoke to myself or my relatives never saw a dr thats just my experience sorry if it offends anyone that had a loved one in good home
how do they work ? The only thing i was told last week when i went to see one was about them labelling clothes and i asked about baths i know people probably have varying needs but how offten do they have baths activities day to day stuff basically what goes on

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
Yes thanks did read that just now but the one home i did gp to see I couldn’t have asked them questions the carer showing me around seemed awfully busy and manager spent 10 min talking most of which was interrupted by the maintenance man carers people etc as we were in the main reception never offered us to go into hes office so everyone had a good listen to what o was saying was annoyed didnt seem interested in my dad but then im not allowed to look at private home ss have said as my dad will be funded within a couple of months by La seems just got to like it or lump it ...

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
People usually have a weekly bath/shower but can have more.Depends on how capable they are.Some PWD take themselves and do their own but if they need help it is usually once..
Mind you if they are incontinent it will be more.
Activities vary.But they should have an activity board on display that will let everyone know what is going on.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
People usually have a weekly bath/shower but can have more.Depends on how capable they are.Some PWD take themselves and do their own but if they need help it is usually once..
Mind you if they are incontinent it will be more.
Activities vary.But they should have an activity board on display that will let everyone know what is going on.[/

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
the carer showing me around seemed awfully busy and manager spent 10 min talking most of which was interrupted by the maintenance man carers people etc as we were in the main reception

This is not good enough.

was annoyed didnt seem interested in my dad but then im not allowed to look at private home ss have said as my dad will be funded within a couple of months by La

I would raise this issue again. Your dad is not a parcel and is entitled to be respected.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My ( Now late) mother was bathed or showered every day. She loved her bath, and was bathed as often as they could manage, otherwise it was a shower each morning.

There were often activities going on in the mornings- she chose not to join in, but was encouraged to go into that space, and did watch sometimes.

Life in her nursing home seemed to revolve around food/meals- food was good too

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Unfortunately as I think I said before on one of your threads, you will have little choice because your dad is being LA funded. So you won't be able to look at multiple care homes, the choice will probably be between three at most so you will just have to choose the best of what is available.

The one you visited sounds hectic and I certainly wouldn't want to move my relative there, you should be able to speak to the manager in their office and also look around and have the time to ask any questions you like.

I have no idea how often my mother has a bath/shower - I suspect not every day, I think some days she just has a wash. But she is always clean and tidy, and wearing her own clothes, so she has a bath 'often enough'.