Can you travel without travel insurance?

mag123

Feb 6, 2017
DH fainted in June at airport, went to A & E, loads of test, advised could travel on so we caught next flight. 5 months later GP phones to say nodule on lung and fastbacks him for another X-ray. this one is normal and nodule is no longer there but they now fastback for CT Scan as double check. Classed as an undiagnosed condition and GP wont say fit to fly, insurance wont insure, so catch 22 situation Group holiday in four days and DH wants to go, its not a holiday we can repeat, its with a group of friends, and it may be a rare chance to have such a 'normal' holiday whilst he is still able to enjoy it. . Have EHIC cards but advised that this is not enough. GP advises being around for apt in next couple of weeks, but likely they may find nothing, agrees to go on holiday but will not put fit to travel on medical records in case of litigation. We may miss this holiday for nothing because fo 5 month delays in NHS.
Would welcome comments or advice on how to provide the best quality of life for husband.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
You can.But at your own risk.I would never do it and I don't have any major heath issues.But I am extremely risk averse

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
I can see your dilemma and understand that you don't want to miss out on a chance to get away, we all benefit from some time away. I would be very wary of travelling without insurance though. Something unexpected may happen, a slip resulting in broken bone, appendicitis etc and hospital/Dr costs abroad can be VERY expensive! To me , it just wouldn't be worth the risk and I feel the worry would spoil the holiday. I hope you get some answers from the hospital soon, and perhaps you could have a break in this country, maybe your friends would come away with you later in the year?

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Yep of course
Hi I’m unable to get travel / medical Insurance cover ok I accept Insurance companies have to access the risk and with my health problems Dementia , Diabetes, Angina, and Kidney Cancer I’m suppose to insurers I’m a high risk thats fine I can accept that, But should it stop me going abroad No well my last four holidays I been without Insurance we are in the EU and I do have an E111 health card so have something and let’s face it living in today’s environment life is a risk. It’s down to the Individual a personal choice and nothing wrong with that

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Moderators...remove this if it is not allowed ....but I understand a few insurances companies will insure for awaiting diagnosis..Staysure is one I have used before.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Countryboy,
I can see you are a "glass half full "kind of guy, whereas I ( like my name), am glass half empty and always looking for problems! You're quite right, at the end of the day it's a case of weighing up the risks and then down to personal choice.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My husband has had heart problems for the last couple of years and managed to get cover for a couple of trips using the previously mentioned company but at the moment he is waiting for an appointment so he is deemed as 'under investigation' and can't get insurance.

We took a chance of a short break in Europe with his E111 card but I wouldn't really advise anyone to do this without proper insurance.

I knew a person who went to Scotland for a golfing holiday and dropped dead in his hotel. It cost his family a fortune to get his body home. It had never occurred to me to have travel insurance for the UK so I was a bit shocked by that.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Friend of mine did have insurance, fortunately. She slipped on damp cobbles, hit her head, broke her wrist, and had to have a medivac back to Addenbrokes at Cambridge from Macedonia. A pretty penny, I think.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree that going without insurance is very risky, can you afford the cost if things go wrong?

EHIC only covers treatment that locals get free, most countries require some form of top up even if treatment is in a national facility, this top up is no longer paid by the NHS on return.

EHIC does not cover treatment in private facilities, it can be difficult to find one in an emergency, you could end up in a private clinic.

Repatriation either injured/severely sick or dead can be extremely expensive.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
My husband has had heart problems for the last couple of years and managed to get cover for a couple of trips using the previously mentioned company but at the moment he is waiting for an appointment so he is deemed as 'under investigation' and can't get insurance.

We took a chance of a short break in Europe with his E111 card but I wouldn't really advise anyone to do this without proper insurance.

I knew a person who went to Scotland for a golfing holiday and dropped dead in his hotel. It cost his family a fortune to get his body home. It had never occurred to me to have travel insurance for the UK so I was a bit shocked by that.
Maybe they have tightened up their criteria since I used them.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Maybe they have tightened up their criteria since I used them.

I use them, age plus recent medical history means they are the only ones I have found that will quote me for cover.

I suspect 'under investigation' can be decided by what investigation and recent/long term medical history.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I use them, age plus recent medical history means they are the only ones I have found that will quote me for cover.

I suspect 'under investigation' can be decided by what investigation and recent/long term medical history.
Perhaps worth the OP giving them a phone call to give details and ask.

mag123

Feb 6, 2017
I can see your dilemma and understand that you don't want to miss out on a chance to get away, we all benefit from some time away. I would be very wary of travelling without insurance though. Something unexpected may happen, a slip resulting in broken bone, appendicitis etc and hospital/Dr costs abroad can be VERY expensive! To me , it just wouldn't be worth the risk and I feel the worry would spoil the holiday. I hope you get some answers from the hospital soon, and perhaps you could have a break in this country, maybe your friends would come away with you later in the year?
Thank you. Its notpossible to arrange another break with friends

mag123

Feb 6, 2017
Yep of course
Hi I’m unable to get travel / medical Insurance cover ok I accept Insurance companies have to access the risk and with my health problems Dementia , Diabetes, Angina, and Kidney Cancer I’m suppose to insurers I’m a high risk thats fine I can accept that, But should it stop me going abroad No well my last four holidays I been without Insurance we are in the EU and I do have an E111 health card so have something and let’s face it living in today’s environment life is a risk. It’s down to the Individual a personal choice and nothing wrong with that
Thank you !

mag123

Feb 6, 2017
Hi Countryboy,
I can see you are a "glass half full "kind of guy, whereas I ( like my name), am glass half empty and always looking for problems! You're quite right, at the end of the day it's a case of weighing up the risks and then down to personal choice.
Thank you

mag123

Feb 6, 2017

thank you

mag123

Feb 6, 2017
Friend of mine did have insurance, fortunately. She slipped on damp cobbles, hit her head, broke her wrist, and had to have a medivac back to Addenbrokes at Cambridge from Macedonia. A pretty penny, I think.
thank you

mag123

Feb 6, 2017
Agree that going without insurance is very risky, can you afford the cost if things go wrong?

EHIC only covers treatment that locals get free, most countries require some form of top up even if treatment is in a national facility, this top up is no longer paid by the NHS on return.

EHIC does not cover treatment in private facilities, it can be difficult to find one in an emergency, you could end up in a private clinic.

Repatriation either injured/severely sick or dead can be extremely expensive.
thank you