Hospital contact

CharlieH

Nov 3, 2017
Hi everyone, my wife, who is 76, was diagnosed with having Alzheimers over 4 years ago. Her condition has deteriorated in those 4 years, and that deterioration has accelerated over the last few months. There is very little that she can do without my guidance.
She is on the same medication as she was on immediately after diagnosis - Galantamine, 16mg. daily, and had no follow - up from the hospital.
Is this the common experience?
I would really appreciate your feedback.
Kind regards.
John.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We are in a slightly different position with my OH having vascular dementia @CharlieH, but our surgery is pretty responsive to any appointments I book for any major changes and have a medication review every year. It might be worth going to you wife's GP and asking for them to check up on her and see if there are any other medications that can help.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
She is on the same medication as she was on immediately after diagnosis - Galantamine, 16mg. daily, and had no follow - up from the hospital. Is this the common experience?

After my Mum was first diagnosed with Alzheimers she remained on the same medication for over 4 years without any review (it was working well) so I think your experience isn't unusual. As nae sporran has mentioned, if you feel that a medication review may be worthwhile speak to the GP about the recent deterioration and they can refer you back to the hospital/mental health team.

CharlieH

Nov 3, 2017
We are in a slightly different position with my OH having vascular dementia @CharlieH, but our surgery is pretty responsive to any appointments I book for any major changes and have a medication review every year. It might be worth going to you wife's GP and asking for them to check up on her and see if there are any other medications that can help.
Many thanks.

CharlieH

Nov 3, 2017
After my Mum was first diagnosed with Alzheimers she remained on the same medication for over 4 years without any review (it was working well) so I think your experience isn't unusual. As nae sporran has mentioned, if you feel that a medication review may be worthwhile speak to the GP about the recent deterioration and they can refer you back to the hospital/mental health team.
Many thanks.