What a difference a couple of hours break makes...

Lladro

May 1, 2019
I, like loads of folk on here, look after my other half 24/7 and it is wearing me out. However, I do now have a carer lady come in for just three hours a week at the moment - But I have to tell you, I went for a swim and a sauna today - all by myself! - It was fantastic!!!!!! No-one following me, asking me things, demanding attention and entertaining - no meals to prepare, no showers and dressing to organise - Nothing - Just me!
Sorry - just had to share my happy state!

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
I, like loads of folk on here, look after my other half 24/7 and it is wearing me out. However, I do now have a carer lady come in for just three hours a week at the moment - But I have to tell you, I went for a swim and a sauna today - all by myself! - It was fantastic!!!!!! No-one following me, asking me things, demanding attention and entertaining - no meals to prepare, no showers and dressing to organise - Nothing - Just me!
Made me smile, so glad you had some time for yourself. :)

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
:).Lovely to hear you are having some time out..

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019

share away xxx so lovely to read it made me smile xxx

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Hi @Lladro, you made me smile.
We don't have a carer yet for my mum, we manage on our own, although we are thinking about mum going to a day care centre once a week - a big step for us.

So, to have time to ourselves, as a couple and not as a 'threesome', OH and I get up early a couple of times a week and are in our local pool by 6.30 am. The swimming session sets us up for the day, and we are back home before mum has woken up. Perfect!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I used to sneak a coffee in Asda's cafe when doing dad's shopping. It was nice just sitting on my own for a while until a couple of months ago when they changed it into a Mcdonalds.

Sometimes I think we are too easily pleased but I would love to sit by the sea for a while and a swim would be wonderful.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thats lovely to read, so glad you had a nice relax x i hope you get to continue having some more times like that x
I'm currently trying to persuade mum round to similar thing.
This weekend my sister came to stay with mum for 2 nights so I could have a couple of nights off. I still saw mum with sis for most of the daytime but I got to stay at home with hubby at night. Although I spent most of the evening and morning either googling stuff to do with mum, doing admin or cleaning but for 2 nights I got to sleep in my own bed with hubby and not be woken in night and early morning by mum and also I got to use my own shower without interuption, which was bliss as I don't like mums and I'm always worrying what she'll get upto while I'm in there and often get interrupted.
Little things can be big things when you don't get to do them much. X

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Thats lovely to read, so glad you had a nice relax x i hope you get to continue having some more times like that x
This weekend my sister came to stay with mum for 2 nights so I could have a couple of nights off. I still saw mum with sis for most of the daytime but I got to stay at home with hubby at night. Although I spent most of the evening and morning either googling stuff to do with mum, doing admin or cleaning but for 2 nights I got to sleep in my own bed with hubby and not be woken in night and early morning by mum and also I got to use my own shower without interuption, which was bliss as I don't like mums and I'm always worrying what she'll get upto while I'm in there and often get interrupted.

Bless you, I am full of admiration for what full time carers do. Xxxx

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I was in a similar situation at the beginning of 2018. Our world had closed in and getting time to myself seemed almost impossible. I had applied successfully for Attendance Allowance for my wife and started spending it on a carer coming in to 'help with the dog' on one day a week. At first this was for a precious 3 hours then, when my wife seemed not just to accept but actually enjoy the visits, I increased it to 5.5 hours. This gave me time to reconnect with friends and start going out on cycle rides, something I hadn't done for well over a year.

Without that precious one day a week I doubt if my struggles to look after my wife at home would have lasted as long as they did. It gave me back a little independence and helped clear my mind of dementia, at least until I got back after a day out. Perhaps more importantly, it encouraged me to try other things such as a day centre (not successful) and respite (successful).

Getting time to yourself is so important @Lladro and I hope that you can continue to do it on a regular basis.

Lladro

May 1, 2019
I was in a similar situation at the beginning of 2018. Our world had closed in and getting time to myself seemed almost impossible. I had applied successfully for Attendance Allowance for my wife and started spending it on a carer coming in to 'help with the dog' on one day a week. At first this was for a precious 3 hours then, when my wife seemed not just to accept but actually enjoy the visits, I increased it to 5.5 hours. This gave me time to reconnect with friends and start going out on cycle rides, something I hadn't done for well over a year.

Without that precious one day a week I doubt if my struggles to look after my wife at home would have lasted as long as they did. It gave me back a little independence and helped clear my mind of dementia, at least until I got back after a day out. Perhaps more importantly, it encouraged me to try other things such as a day centre (not successful) and respite (successful).

Getting time to yourself is so important @Lladro and I hope that you can continue to do it on a regular basis.

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience too. Clearing my mind of the dementia stuff seems far away, as every day and early evening is challenging to say the very least - but I will see if I can extend the carer lady visit for another couple of hours - think what I could do then!
My mom died four years ago and my Dad is 92 now, but very fit and self sufficient, my Dad hates his own company though - but I must take after my mom, who loved her own company - my wife has never understood this, as before the arrival of dementia she didn't like being on her own - and now, well if I am out of her line of sight for litarary 30 seconds then she panics. So for me this "alone time" is so, so precious.

Lladro

May 1, 2019

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, you are so right - little things can be big things when you don't get to do them much - You do learn to appreciate them more, which is an added blessing .