Votes: 49 13.0%
  • 70-79 years

Votes: 22 5.9%
  • 80 years or over

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters

victoria

Nov 5, 2008
Im 23, 24 in a few weeks, i work in a nursing home, and have dealt with alot of dementia, and now my partners gran has just been diagnosed with dementia and he has put the idea across that i care for her.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Victoria and welcome to TP.

my partners gran has just been diagnosed with dementia and he has put the idea across that i care for her.

The only thing I'd say is that there is a huge difference between working as a carer in a home and caring for a family member at home.

For a start, when you are working at caring, you can walk away at the end of a shift. That may not be possible at home. When you are working, there are others working with you.

My advice would be [whatever you eventually decide to do] to explore what other options there are for her care.

A lot will depend on your circumstances and his gran's current condition and care needs.

x-lauren-x

Mar 6, 2007
I'm 16 and my mum is 47- we looked after my uncle at home but hes not moved into a care home so we are less heavily involved in the phsycial care- more visiting and taking him out :) xxxxx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear John

I am 21:);)
I wish.
My hubby is still to me a young man, good looking, with a smile that can melt hearts:)
Iam 61, he is 84.
What is age ??
Nothing.
If you love them, you love them XX

Barb XXX
Sorry Bruce, average age of carers I would say is about 61/62.

michaelhamilton

Nov 24, 2008
Kelso, Scottish Borders
I am 71 (born 1937) but well preserved (i.e. still frisky) caring for wife aged 58 (born 1950) now in year three of early onset dementia known as FTD (Fronto-temporal dementia aka Pick's Disease) diagnosed mid 2006.
Hang in there Folks!
:)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Sorry Bruce, average age of carers I would say is about 61/62

That's the thing about data. The members say younger than that. :)

Data depends on who responds, and the polls here are self-selecting on the part of members... not a 'representative sample', and not scientific.

It might be that the average age is actually younger - or actually older - or our sample may be spot on.

Our polls are a snapshot, that's all, an indication from those who respond.

florida mel

Jul 21, 2008
Manchester ENGLAND
Hiya Barb :)
yes- like sylvia said I'm 15 but i help care for my uncle with my mum, we work together really like a team- she does all the tlaking to the doctors n etc and I try to help my uncle at home- now hes moving to a care home i dont do this so much- more just visiting him and chatting to him :)
lv laurenxxxxx
ps: thanks sylvia for explaining on my behalf!:)

Hi Lauren, I had to say hi because my daughter is 10 and is a real help to me in caring for my nan who has alzheimers. My daughter does the dusting for her and puts her shopping away.

As a mum and a carer well done you :) keep up the good work :)

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Name change needed

I am 71 (born 1937) but well preserved (i.e. still frisky) caring for wife aged 58 (born 1950) now in year three of early onset dementia known as FTD (Fronto-temporal dementia aka Pick's Disease) diagnosed mid 2006.
Hang in there Folks!
:)

Michael, I definitely think you have to change your user name to Frisky!! Welcome to TP.

Annoula

Dec 4, 2008
Greece
i am 36 and caring for my mum who is 80 alone.

she has mild dementia, probably of the vascular type and it took me many years to accept the slow degeneration. year 2007 was awful as the condition worsened a little bit and i was going mad.
i think i am much calmer now, but i can't stand any other stress in my life.

Richard E.

Feb 26, 2009
Newport, Gwent, South Wales.
Hi I am 50 care for mother 89 at home

Please bare with me, new to forums. she has early to middle stage vascular dementia, though I am still trying to work out how they calculate stages. Cared for her about 10 years, although about 3 years dementia. Thankful for all the charity help, could never manage 24/7 on my own, would go mad (though could already be there). Mother says she as a certificate saying she mad, my future inheritance (laugh). I believe in the fact she did her best to bring me up, therefore my turn to take care of her. :)

emilysimpson

Feb 26, 2009
West Yorkshire

My Grandma (89) cares for my Grandad (89) 24/7. They are lucky enough to still be together at that age, and to live at home, but my poor Grandma is so frail and stressed she can hardly manage.

kal d

Jul 30, 2008
liverpool
Hi, i am 52 and cared for my dad he is 77 and in a home now, i miss him and now i care for my mum she is 75 she also has dementia.

DianeB

May 29, 2008
nottinghamshire
Well if I could put down 2 votes it would be over 80's for my Dad and I am 45. So I am going to vote on my Dads behalf as he was Mum main carer before she was admitted to the nursing home.