Aducanumab

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The company said a “new analysis of a larger dataset” showed that the drug, aducanumab, reduced clinical decline in patients with early Alzheimer’s disease on multiple measures of the drug’s effectiveness. That directly contradicts a decision in March to halt studies of the therapy based on the recommendations of an independent monitoring board that was charged with protecting patients in the study.

https://www.statnews.com/2019/10/22/biogen-to-submit-aducanumab/

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
My data analysis skills these days extend only as far as counting how many biscuits I've eaten today (lots), comparing it to how many I should have eaten (none), and crying into my pillow. But my bet is that if this 'breakthrough' wasn't apparent in the initial data then it's marginal at best and they're trying to wring some return out of their investment.

There must be some (statistical!) benefit, but that can mean a lot of things in the hands of publicists. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it's a big enough benefit for NICE to eventually roll this drug out to the general public.

I'm a lifelong cynic though. Hopefully an optimist will be along any moment now to put a better spin on it. :) But dementia does tend to laugh in the face of optimists. A degree of cynicism is, sadly, justified.

Last edited:

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I was very interested in this drug trial for husband but by time it was rolled out at a hospital which was doable for me he was already too far gone sadly.
I'd encourage ppl to particpate in trials though as it not only may benefit your PWD but the next generation , your children who may have a genetic susceptibility.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Still think turmeric is a possible treatment ! But hey as it’s natural there isn’t a lot of profit in it for the pharmaceutical industries

Definitely lower rates in those countries where turmeric is used widely in cooking.

curry anyone? Or even piccalilli??

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I don't know about definitely lower rates in countries where turmeric is widely used, as these countries tend to have lower life expectancies. Since age is the strongest known factor for developing Alzheimer's, the use of turmeric may not necessarily apply.

Of course, having a healthy lifestyle i.e not smoking, lowering cholesterol, controlling diabetes, high blood pressure and so on are considered modifiable factors in reducing one's chances of developing AD at an earlier age. However, there is nothing that can be done about aging. it is a non-modifiable factor and the greatest.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I don't know about definitely lower rates in countries where turmeric is widely used, as these countries tend to have lower life expectancies. Since age is the strongest known factor for developing Alzheimer's, the use of turmeric may not necessarily apply.

Of course, having a healthy lifestyle i.e not smoking, lowering cholesterol, controlling diabetes, high blood pressure and so on are considered modifiable factors in reducing one's chances of developing AD at an earlier age. However, there is nothing that can be done about aging. it is a non-modifiable factor and the greatest.
Australian scientists are testing a turmeric based drug with positive results- what they are testing it on I missed but I’ve heard about turmeric before.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Aducanumab?? You'd think they might have come up with a name that was a little easier to pronounce at the GP's and chemist. Sounds like something you'd hear on Rentaghost. o_O

Nameless

Jun 10, 2016
Just a quick update: My husband was in the big phase 3 trial for about 1 1/2 years. The medication trial was suspended about a year ago and aducanumab wasn’t approved. So unfortunately it won’t be a miracle drug for Alzheimer’s.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you for coming back and updating us @Nameless , although Im sorry that the trial wasnt successful
Heres hoping for better research and a treatment found.

Nameless

Jun 10, 2016
Thank you for coming back and updating us @Nameless , although Im sorry that the trial wasnt successful
Heres hoping for better research and a treatment found.
It would have been wonderful if it had turned out to be THE wonder medication to treat AZ. But, better to have tried and lost than never to have tried. Take care

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My understanding of the drug trial was that the participants were not actually Alzheimers patients but were MCI so it's a bit like testing the difference between apples and oranges.

Cynically, I get a bit suspicious when a drug company comes out with a wonder drug. I can't help but wonder how much money they are going to make. Then there's always the thing that 'Oh, yes of course but its not going to ready for another five years.

Nameless

Jun 10, 2016
Hi Lawson, my husband definitely had Alzheimer’s the early form. I now two other people that were in the trial too, from the Alzheimer’s group. I think there was study to see if aducanumab would „work“ to prevent an outbreak in people with a high Alzheimer’s risiko, I believe that study was stopped a while ago.

Nameless

Jun 10, 2016
The medication was from the Company Biogen. Ironically they built a huge Pharma company about 20 km from where I live