What kind of carer cant even get the basics!

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
My mother’s lived with me for four years and has been functioning with dementia until 8 months ago when she rapidly declined. She now needs constant supervision and can’t be left alone.

When she first arrived she never put her underwear to wash. She would wash them in the bathroom and put them on her radiator. I let her do it because I didn’t want to embarrass her. She’s very old fashioned and wouldn’t want my hands on hubby hanging her knickers and bra on the line, she would be mortified!

Over the last few weeks all her underwear started disappearing. I think she’s forgotten how to wash them and rather than give them to me to wash she’s throwing them away. They are definitely gone! She strongly believes someone has been in her room and stolen them. I’ve tried replacing them but she rejects everything I buy and they go missing again!

She has a particular brand of knickers called sloggi which are expensive and she will only wear white so they are identical to hers but she won’t have it. I’ve also bought the identical bras from Marks and Spencer’s but she won’t accept them. She says they’re not hers don’t fit and she’s never worn anything like them. She’s getting really distressed about the woman whose going into her room and taking her things. She’s sat on the settee now and we’ve had the same conversation 20 times with 2 minute breaks in between.

It’s already an impossible task and now I can’t even make sure she’s got her knickers on!

I emailed the mental health team begging for some help three days ago and didn’t get a response until yesterday. The response was less than useless! The mental health worker will speak to someone this afternoon and get back when she can... probably just after I’ve completely broken down!

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Oh @Rosserk , 3 days is ages just to get a reply!! I hope they get back to you asap. I'm sorry, I have no advice but I'm sure someone on here will do. Just wanted to say you're doing a great job in very difficult circumstances! Hang on in there xxx

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Oh @Rosserk , 3 days is ages just to get a reply!! I hope they get back to you asap. I'm sorry, I have no advice but I'm sure someone on here will do. Just wanted to say you're doing a great job in very difficult circumstances! Hang on in there xxx

Thank you it’s kind of you to take the time to read my rants! I find myself bearing my soul on here because I can’t do it anywhere else. Xx

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
Thank you it’s kind of you to take the time to read my rants! I find myself bearing my soul on here because I can’t do it anywhere else. Xx
we take the time as we know.....either we learn from what others say and go through ...or one day it will be us that needs the rant and someone there to 'read'
cant offer any advice but your rant is read and not dismissed..... its trying times and we help each other through....

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
we take the time as we know.....either we learn from what others say and go through ...or one day it will be us that needs the rant and someone there to 'read'
cant offer any advice but your rant is read and not dismissed..... its trying times and we help each other through....
You are very kind thank you xc

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother’s lived with me for four years and has been functioning with dementia until 8 months ago when she rapidly declined. She now needs constant supervision and can’t be left alone.

When she first arrived she never put her underwear to wash. She would wash them in the bathroom and put them on her radiator. I let her do it because I didn’t want to embarrass her. She’s very old fashioned and wouldn’t want my hands on hubby hanging her knickers and bra on the line, she would be mortified!

Over the last few weeks all her underwear started disappearing. I think she’s forgotten how to wash them and rather than give them to me to wash she’s throwing them away. They are definitely gone! She strongly believes someone has been in her room and stolen them. I’ve tried replacing them but she rejects everything I buy and they go missing again!

She has a particular brand of knickers called sloggi which are expensive and she will only wear white so they are identical to hers but she won’t have it. I’ve also bought the identical bras from Marks and Spencer’s but she won’t accept them. She says they’re not hers don’t fit and she’s never worn anything like them. She’s getting really distressed about the woman whose going into her room and taking her things. She’s sat on the settee now and we’ve had the same conversation 20 times with 2 minute breaks in between.

It’s already an impossible task and now I can’t even make sure she’s got her knickers on!

I emailed the mental health team begging for some help three days ago and didn’t get a response until yesterday. The response was less than useless! The mental health worker will speak to someone this afternoon and get back when she can... probably just after I’ve completely broken down!

Reasoning and trying logic with your mum will not work. You won't be able to persuade her otherwise about this woman coming in and stealing things. Of course as far as your mum is concerned there is nothing wrong with her. My mother-in-law was very similar she used to accuse the carers when they came in of swapping sheets to different colours that she didn't like or taking makeup out of her bag. My stock answer was always the same, I used to say oh dear I will look into it for you and tell the carers not to do it. Then try and distract her with something else. Once I told her I had taken the sheet off the carer and returned it. Of course it was always the same sheet in the airing cupboard.

I've got no magic answers to your particular scenario, but personally I wouldn't discuss or tell her that you're replacing the underwear I would just do it and put it in the drawer. Or trying to intercept her laundry before she washes it.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Reasoning and trying logic with your mum will not work. You won't be able to persuade her otherwise about this woman coming in and stealing things. Of course as far as your mum is concerned there is nothing wrong with her. My mother-in-law was very similar she used to accuse the carers when they came in of swapping sheets to different colours that she didn't like or taking makeup out of her bag. My stock answer was always the same, I used to say oh dear I will look into it for you and tell the carers not to do it. Then try and distract her with something else. Once I told her I had taken the sheet off the carer and returned it. Of course it was always the same sheet in the airing cupboard.

I've got no magic answers to your particular scenario, but personally I wouldn't discuss or tell her that you're replacing the underwear I would just do it and put it in the drawer. Or trying to intercept her laundry before she washes it.

Thank you x

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019

They’ve emailed me they want to visit ASAP I’m waiting for them to let me know when. I had a foot op two weeks ago and had the stitches out yesterday. Just taken the dressing off and it’s infected. The surgeons secretary is at lunch! Feel like everything is against me.

Attachments

• 993B35A2-6F42-496B-AA8E-55A0ABD0ADC3.jpeg
    993B35A2-6F42-496B-AA8E-55A0ABD0ADC3.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 370

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
They’ve emailed me they want to visit ASAP I’m waiting for them to let me know when. I had a foot op two weeks ago and had the stitches out yesterday. Just taken the dressing off and it’s infected. The surgeons secretary is at lunch! Feel like everything is against me.

That looks infected

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
That looks infected

Yep!
Hello Palerider I didn’t get a chance to rest with all I have going on. I was supposed to rest but then I had the problems with dad and haven’t stopped since. It looks filthy but it’s where the dressing was stuck I have just managed to get the sticky stuff off x

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Yep!
Hello Palerider I didn’t get a chance to rest with all I have going on. I was supposed to rest but then I had the problems with dad and haven’t stopped since. It looks filthy but it’s where the dressing was stuck I have just managed to get the sticky stuff off x

Don't mess with it too much, you need to get to your GP today

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Get new underwear for her, but wash it several times before giving it to her, to remove the newness from them, perhaps even make them a little grey!!!
"Guess what I found Mum....."

Bod

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Don't mess with it too much, you need to get to your GP today

I’ve sent a picture to the surgeons secretary and she’s given me an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. She’s sent the picture to the surgeon whose off today in case he suggests anything else but they don’t seem overly concerned. ☹️

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Get new underwear for her, but wash it several times before giving it to her, to remove the newness from them, perhaps even make them a little grey!!!
"Guess what I found Mum....."

Bod

That’s a great idea and it might work. I need to get on top of her throwing them away or I will have to remortgage to pay for the replacements. X

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
That’s a great idea and it might work. I need to get on top of her throwing them away or I will have to remortgage to pay for the replacements. X
There is probably only a limited number of places they can go, but all need checking, even the most unlikely places, on top of the wardrobe, down the loo, any bumps under the carpet?
Check the dustbin contents before bin day...

Bod

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
There is probably only a limited number of places they can go, but all need checking, even the most unlikely places, on top of the wardrobe, down the loo, any bumps under the carpet?
Check the dustbin contents before bin day...

Bod

You would think so but I’ve searched everywhere! The rubbish went Monday. She is more covert than 007 they could be buried in the garden or down a drain in the street. Wherever they went they’re not turning up but in future I will keep a closer eye out.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Adult SS just called to tell me they don’t know what they can do to help! What do I have to do to get some help! It’s impossible!!

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@Rosserk well that's not much good of SS. Have you tried the admiral nurse helpline? The couple of times I've called them they had so many good tips.

Look out for that foot, hope it's not too painful! x

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
sorry if you have already said somewhere.......but have you had an assessment? care and carer? maybe even if you have in the past you need to stres urgent carer support needed before you break! you not only have the issues going on with caring but also recovering from surgery! i know how that goes as i have not long ago had my hip replaced. getting over any surgery needs time and care..
i would start with an assessment/review and stress it need to be asap as urgent

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
sorry if you have already said somewhere.......but have you had an assessment? care and carer? maybe even if you have in the past you need to stres urgent carer support needed before you break! you not only have the issues going on with caring but also recovering from surgery! i know how that goes as i have not long ago had my hip replaced. getting over any surgery needs time and care..
i would start with an assessment/review and stress it need to be asap as urgent

The mental health team phoned SS and told them they felt I was at breaking point. SS called and asked would mum go into respite and I told her no not unless they dragged her there. They then said well what do you want us to do and I said I don’t know what usually happens and she said respite. Then she said I don’t think there’s anything we can do if she won’t accept respite! She asked if she’d had an assessment and I told her no.

She told me to speak with mental health team and call her back if there was anything they could do. I was expecting suggestions from them because I don’t know what to do.