Paying for Respite

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi

My mums mental health worker has offered respite fro my mum when I told her I could no longer cope. Would I have to pay for respite?

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
No. Any payment would come from your mum. I hope you get the respite soon.

Thank you is there an income threshold? Or does she pay regardless of how much money she has? I’ve tried looking on line but it’s not easy to understand? For example if mum has 21 k would she pay all the fees?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Here's a link to the Society Factsheet on this issue, just click the 2nd line to read/print.. I hope it helps.:)

Paying for care and support in England (532)
PDF printable version

Thank you.

She has 21k in savings her only income is her state pension and a small pension she gets from a company she worked for. She only paid half a stamp so doesn’t get a full state pension. She has no other income so I guess she would have to pay full cost for whatever care package she requires because of her savings.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi. Does she get attendance allowance?

Hi no she doesn’t get anything. She hasn’t been assessed by the LA and if anyone tried to assess her she’d go hysterical! I filled out the claim forms but she wouldn’t sign them and I haven’t activated POA yet.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Is your father still alive? Sorry to ask but if so I think she maybe able to claim some of his pension.

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
@Rosserk each LA has its own rules on respite funding. Some allow subsidised funding for two weeks a year and others allow 4 or 6 weeks etc. My own LA is Glasgow and will allow 2 weeks at £139.50 per week. Anything above that is paid privately so eg in July I paid £1103 for one extra week.

It is important to activate the POA at the bank etc so that you can pay directly from her account when dealing with such matters.

As regards the AA if she already has a diagnosis of her mental condition then you can apply for it without involving her. I would advise using the assistance of Age UK or similar to complete the forms as they know how to word the claim. Tell it as it is on the worst day and night. Good luck.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Is your father still alive? Sorry to ask but if so I think she maybe able to claim some of his pension.

Yes so their pension is a couples pension but I don’t know how much I only know that she only ever paid half pension contribution

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
@Rosserk each LA has its own rules on respite funding. Some allow subsidised funding for two weeks a year and others allow 4 or 6 weeks etc. My own LA is Glasgow and will allow 2 weeks at £139.50 per week. Anything above that is paid privately so eg in July I paid £1103 for one extra week.

It is important to activate the POA at the bank etc so that you can pay directly from her account when dealing with such matters.

As regards the AA if she already has a diagnosis of her mental condition then you can apply for it without involving her. I would advise using the assistance of Age UK or similar to complete the forms as they know how to word the claim. Tell it as it is on the worst day and night. Good luck.

Thank you x

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
Hi has your mum had a council tax discount yet,you can sort that out for her if you have poa

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi has your mum had a council tax discount yet,you can sort that out for her if you have poa

Hi thank you my mum lives with me and my dads in hospital. Dad was in a care home but there is a safeguarding investigation into his care so he can’t return to his care home. Neither would qualify for ctax reduction. Thanks anyway all ideas are gratefully received and appreciated. X

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Hi no she doesn’t get anything. She hasn’t been assessed by the LA and if anyone tried to assess her she’d go hysterical! I filled out the claim forms but she wouldn’t sign them and I haven’t activated POA yet.

When you say you have not 'activated' POA, do you mean you have the POA but just have never used it? If so, that's fine you can still sign off the AA forms as her POA, you then need to send a certified copy of the POA with the forms. Never let the original document out of your hands.

I delayed applying for AA and wished I hadn't, it's a good chunk of money and really worth having.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
When you say you have not 'activated' POA, do you mean you have the POA but just have never used it? If so, that's fine you can still sign off the AA forms as her POA, you then need to send a certified copy of the POA with the forms. Never let the original document out of your hands.

I delayed applying for AA and wished I hadn't, it's a good chunk of money and really worth having.

Hi yes I have POA but I haven’t used it. My mother has only just been assessed as no longer having capacity, so I could contact the banks. I printed off the forms for attendance allowance but she won’t sign them. She registered the POA.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019

Hi thanks for the response. Do you mean you paid £129 for one weeks respite and you’re entitled to two weeks. Then if you want more you have to pay? Sorry am I being dim?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Each LA will have their own rule about what they will subsidise so eg if you accept the two weeks they subsidise at £139.50 per week then decide you want an extra week you will have to pay the care home the full price for the extra week. The only way of knowing is to contact your local authority and ask how many weeks respite they will subsidise should a person need that kind of support.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi yes I have POA but I haven’t used it. My mother has only just been assessed as no longer having capacity, so I could contact the banks. I printed off the forms for attendance allowance but she won’t sign them. She registered the POA.
When I applied for AA for my mother-in-law, I did this on her behalf, sending in certified copy of POA. I didn't involve her at all ,she would never have understood anyway and had begun to lose the capacity to write or sign. She never knew she was receiving it. I simply didn't discuss it with her

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
When I applied for AA for my mother-in-law, I did this on her behalf, sending in certified copy of POA. I didn't involve her at all ,she would never have understood anyway and had begun to lose the capacity to write or sign. She never knew she was receiving it. I simply didn't discuss it with her

Thank you I saw that on the form when I originally filled it in. At the time the psychiatrist hadn’t confirmed the diagnosis but she’s now written a letter which states she has lost capacity. I will discuss with the mental health team tomorrow. I also need to get certified copies of her POA which I will also look into. I think I’ve been reluctant to touch her money or take control of it so I’ve been paying for everything but I guess I need to now. X

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Each LA will have their own rule about what they will subsidise so eg if you accept the two weeks they subsidise at £139.50 per week then decide you want an extra week you will have to pay the care home the full price for the extra week. The only way of knowing is to contact your local authority and ask how many weeks respite they will subsidise should a person need that kind of support.

For clarity because as I say I’m a bit dim! I literally can’t understand anything at the moment.

If care was £1139.50 they would pay £139.50 and I would pay a £1000