What should happen when a DOLs has expired

Barney Brock

Sep 30, 2019
My mother in law suffers from vascular dementia she is bedbound and double incontinent. Since her admission to the Care Centre (home) in February 2016, three DOLS assessments have been undertaken. Continuity of the DOLS authorisation has been ensured as the new one has started on the annual anniversary date in mid-July. The vascular dementia has progressed year on year so a DOLS authorisation is 'technically' still needed. However the current DOLS authorisation of 12-months expired in July. For the readers information - we are self funding, hold Lasting Power of Attorney for Heath and Welfare (as well as Property and Finance) and have been the previous relevant persons representative (RPR) for the DOLS. We have confirmed with the Care Centre when they made the DOLS assessment review request, this was in April and last week contacted the Safeguarding Adults Service Manager asking when the DOLS will be undertaken? There has been no response. Is there anything else we could or should do?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I know that my Mum's local authority are months behind with Dols applications and reviews so the authorisations don't run continuously. No doubt they'll get round to it eventually so I wouldn't worry about it in the meantime, particularly as it technically isn't required in your MIL's case.

Barney Brock

Sep 30, 2019
I know that my Mum's local authority are months behind with Dols applications and reviews so the authorisations don't run continuously. No doubt they'll get round to it eventually so I wouldn't worry about it in the meantime, particularly as it technically isn't required in your MIL's case.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
As long the person with dementia and the family have no objection to her being in a care home, not having a DoLS doesn't really matter. My LA is way behind on DoLS and after 18 months in her care home my mother still hasn't had one. One member said on a thread recently that her mother waited nearly 8 years for her DoLS, so I am not holding my breath!