Invisibles and Facebook

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
You are right @Lawson58. Dementia Talking Point is my social media of choice because it always has something useful and informative to say. In another medium, of course, you would be less likely to get a comment but just a rather meaningless 'Like' or (if I hit the right button) a thumbs up ...
Or something rude and disgusting, and very judgemental. Not like TP at all.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have just caught up with this thread and in regard to the comments about TP’s kindness, I think that is because we are dealing with serious matters of life, living with dementia and death, not to be trifled with, used as oneupmanship or trivialised, quite unlike social media where all three happen. I do use social media and have never had a problem but I hope my security settings stop them for me.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I also find the obsession with selfies incomprehensible. If I am some place special, perhaps somewhere like the Trevi Fountain, I take photos of it for my own memories. I don't need a photo of myself with a fatuous grin on my face at the Trevi Fountain to prove to others that I was there.

I get concerned that the younger generation cannot exist without constant reference to others instantly, and that they seem to be unable spend time alone.

I am pleased that you and brother have an arrangement that works OK for both of you. You at least get to share the responsibility which is a real blessing.

When I was younger (I'm not that old now!) anyone who took photos of themselves all the time would be considered vain, shallow and self-obsessed. My opinion hasn't changed... :D

AliceA

May 27, 2016
When I was younger (I'm not that old now!) anyone who took photos of themselves all the time would be considered vain, shallow and self-obsessed. My opinion hasn't changed... :D

:) More true now, they air brush them too!

Wifenotcarer

Mar 11, 2018
Central Scotland
I have also been worrying about MY will as it appoints OH (PWD) as my executor. Last week I went to see the solicitor. She took a copy of my POA for DH, specifically the addendum that OH now lacks capacity and assured me that if I should die before OH this would ensure that our 2 DDs would automatically become the executors and also inherit my half share of our house. I am glad I checked and set my mind at rest. Another item ticked off the "To Do" list:)

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
:) More true now, they air brush them too!

Like the TV advert for some tooth whitening stuff. This featured a gormless young person (or an actor appearing to be that way) who was spending time using a photo app to enhance the whiteness of her teeth not realising that this can be done for real ... ... according to the manufacturers.

I couldn't make this up!

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have also been worrying about MY will as it appoints OH (PWD) as my executor. Last week I went to see the solicitor. She took a copy of my POA for DH, specifically the addendum that OH now lacks capacity and assured me that if I should die before OH this would ensure that our 2 DDs would automatically become the executors and also inherit my half share of our house. I am glad I checked and set my mind at rest. Another item ticked off the "To Do" list:)
This time, our wills included a Wipeout Clause, what would happen if the whole family died in circumstances such as a car accident, plane crash and there was no one left. We nominated a local animal welfare charity but we have never considered this before.

Our GP was very happy to complete a certificate of testamentary competency for my husband. He agreed that while there were certain dementia related issues, he certainly had capacity to make decisions about where he wanted his assets to go after his death. So many more things to consider when the person has dementia and difficulties with his invisibles.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I was a teacher for many years before cell phones and social media appeared so no problems. A few years ago, I was teaching English at a private university in a Spanish speaking country. Cell phones! At the start of each lesson, I insisted that the students turn off their phones and place them at the top of their desks. It worked brilliantly, not an interruption.

Some schools here are insisting that phones must remain in the lockers from start of school till home time but it must be a nightmare trying to teach when kids have their phones on them during class.

The word narcissistic comes to my mind.