N S & I and POA

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Has anyone had problems with NS&I accepting a certified POA. I sent a certified copy that I hold for my husband that had been signed and dated on every page by our solicitor. I have received a letter saying that they won't accept a photocopied signature( it wasn't) and to send either a certified copy (which they have had) or the original ( which I won't) I am going to phone tomorrow to see whether they might see sense, but don't have much hope. Has anyone else had problems with them. So far have got the POA registered with two banks with no trouble at all. Any comments?

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
It may be that the signature looks like a photocopy, my mum's solicitor signed using a felt type pen and it is quite difficult to see that it is an original but if you run your finger behind you can just about feel that it is an original.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I haven't, but I seem to remember seeing a post quite sometime ago with an attorney having similar problems with NS and I which you may find through the search option to see if a solution was found in that instance

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
They refused to accept mums fully certified POA saying the “copy” wasn’t a legal document

Initially I spoke to the very young person who tried to tell me the poa wasn’t a legal document

I started to “cry” then insisted on speaking to the senior manager.

I told the senior manager (once I had finally been put through to them) that I had specifically gone to solicitors to get authorised copy of poa for them and if they didn’t think it was correct, perhaps they should take it up with my solicitor.

I also had a “moan” that life was hard enough looking after someone with dementia, let alone adding extra stress by having to deal with difficult situations like this where I know the poa is legal but suppliers don’t. I then “cried” some more

The money was credited to mums bank account that day

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Has anyone had problems with NS&I accepting a certified POA. I sent a certified copy that I hold for my husband that had been signed and dated on every page by our solicitor. I have received a letter saying that they won't accept a photocopied signature( it wasn't) and to send either a certified copy (which they have had) or the original ( which I won't) I am going to phone tomorrow to see whether they might see sense, but don't have much hope. Has anyone else had problems with them. So far have got the POA registered with two banks with no trouble at all. Any comments?
I sent the original where they had to sign for it.Got it back within a few days,the same way.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think you need to escalate this in the way that 2jays did. It was clearly checked by someone who doesn't understand what a certified POA looks like.

Unfortunately I think these tasks are sometimes (often) undertaken by inexperienced individuals who don't know what they are looking at. I sent a solicitor-certified copy to Sunlife, they confirmed they received and accepted it. But despite promising to return it, it never arrived back, and after months of investigations it transpired that an employee thought it was a photocopy and shredded it. For this reason NEVER let the original out of your hands.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
I have read the thread, thank you for the comments. I will phone tomorrow and maybe I can speak to someone sensible. There is no way I am going to send the original POA. If all else fails I will try crying, that's not hard to do !!!!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
We had problems a couple of times with institution's not accepting a certified copy and got round it by including a photocopy of the letter from mum's solicitor confirming they hold the original LPA and if there is any doubt regarding the certified copy for them to contact the solicitor direct who will set them straight!

It has worked like a dream for us, no complaints from anybody since, but I guess will only be useful if the LPA is lodged for safekeeping with a solicitor, or you have a letter from the solicitor (or whoever you used to confirm its authenticity).

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
I have phoned NS & I. They say the solicitor should have printed her name and put a contact telephone number on the POA. They also said have to be 100% certain as backed by treasury. I even forgot to get the name of person I spoke to, giving up for now, not much fight in me today.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
giving up for now, not much fight in me today
If there isnt too much money involved I dont blame you. I had similar problems with another bank who wouldnt accept the CoP deputyship and said it had to be POA (apparently it was easy - I just had to book an appointment for her to go to a solicitor! :mad::mad::mad: ), but there was only a few hundred pounds in there, so it stayed there and was eventually sorted with probate.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
I am just feeling a bit sorry for myself, but I have emailed the Chief Executive with the details provided by Nitram. See if I get a response. I really don't see why NS&I couldn't have found the solicitors phone number themselves, now I have sent the POA elsewhere so don't even have it with me.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
I feel for you here, this stuff is such a pain. Strangely NS&I were great with me. Sent the POA and they returned it within a few days, no problem. Did a trace for possible bonds a few days later. I think a lot of organisations need to train their staff much better in transactions associated with POA and working sympathetically with carers.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Hi again @chippiebites. Ah I see what they are getting at. My solicitor has a company stamp which says "I certify this is a true copy of the original" and includes the company name and contact details. He stamps this on every page, and then signs and dates each stamp mark. Presumably this is the type of thing they are asking for.

Do you have correspondence from the solicitor? I have at least one letter which he sent me accompanying the POAs. If you have such a letter when you're ready you could try again with the letter attached to the POA.

Alternatively, call the solicitor and ask him to provide you with a copy as per NS&I's requirements. That's what I would do.

chippiebites

Jun 27, 2018
Hi and thanks for your replies. Have phoned NS&I again ant the problem is our solicitor? has signed as a chartered legal executive. That is what is unacceptable to them, has to be a solicitor or a notary public. I don't know what a chartered legal executive is? but not good enough for them.