Care home changes

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
Hi all, I am looking for help again as something new crawls out of the woodwork.
My OH has Alzheimer's and is in a Nursing Home where he has been for 14 months and is reasonably settled. His behaviour is still erratic and challenging at times. The NH has been taken over and I was told that the new owners ( a larger company than before) wanted to have a unit for Brain Injury and Parkinson's on the site. I had thought this was to build a new unit, but it now transpires that they want to install it in one of the existing units, meaning I guess moving others around. OH is at present on a male only unit for complex dementia cases. I was told that as OH doesn't have any inappropriate sexual behaviour, he would be OK to move to a mixed unit. So far so good. Then I was told that he also didn't need a secure unit either, which I am not so sure about.
Anyway to cut a long story short, we are lucky enough to have CHC due to other health problems and his unpredictable often aggressive behaviour. If OH doesn't settle with changes, would there have to be another Best Interest Meeting and Funding Assessment before he could be moved to another home. I don't have Health and Welfare POA.
Any thoughts or advice welcome

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
Easier said that done but try not to worry about what might not happen. I wish you strength.
Thank you Cat. I will try unfortunately I am a bit of a control freak, and like to have a plan going forward. That said Dementia has taught me 'the best laid plans of mice and men etc . . . .
But you are right I need sit tight at the present. Most important thing is OH. Providing he is safe and has good care, next most important thing is that he is settled and as content as possible, and he is in this home at the moment. Not my preference for good order

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You mentioned that your OH gets CHC, so if the worst comes to the worst and this care homes becomes unable to meet his needs, then the thing to do is to go back to Social Services and enlist their help in finding anther place.

But you dont know that this will happen - it might not. So wait and see what happens

SoAlone

May 19, 2016
Devon
You mentioned that your OH gets CHC, so if the worst comes to the worst and this care homes becomes unable to meet his needs, then the thing to do is to go back to Social Services and enlist their help in finding anther place.

But you dont know that this will happen - it might not. So wait and see what happens
Thanks Canary, you are right of course. Unfortunately my experience of Social Services so far on this journey have been not great at best and totally useless at worst . Will see where we go, I may be worrying over nothing, as long as OH is settled when they move him to another unit within, the home, if they do, then all would be OK. However I am wary that some owners of Care Home chains put profit and appearance before staffing and care, and that is a worry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyK