Attendance Allowance Application - which LPA(s) should I send in ?

kch

Sep 22, 2019
Hi,

I'm just about to send in an Attendance Allowance application. I hold both a Financial and Property, and a Health and Welfare LPA. Which of these do I need to send in with the application ? Both ??

And how long does it take for the LPAs to be returned, if I send in the originals ?

Thanks,
kch

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Never ever EVER send LPA originals anywhere! If they get lost in the post, you can't replace them! Send a certified copy of the financial one, that will do.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Dont send the originals in case they do not get returned. Send in a certified copy

You probably only need to send in a copy of the financial POA, but Im a belt and braces girl, so I would probably send a copy of both.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I didn't send any. I think I had to sign the form as I filled it in and I think possibly dad had to sign too. I sent copies of dad's diagnosis and details of medication but I definitely did not send any LPA's or even copies.

Agree with the others NEVER SEND ORIGINALS

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
didn't send any. I think I had to sign the form as I filled it in and I think possibly dad had to sign too.
There is a bit on the back from the claimant (ie the person with dementia) to sign. My understanding of it is that if they sign it then you dont need to send a copy of the POA, but if (for whatever reason) they dont, then you have to send in a copy of the POA

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Never ever EVER send LPA originals anywhere! If they get lost in the post, you can't replace them! Send a certified copy of the financial one, that will do.

It’s really difficult to get certified copies I can’t go to my local job centre because I’m not able to take mum anywhere. I got my LPA from the government website and it says if they are lost you can get new copies for £30

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I think you can get new certified copies for £30, but as far as I know you cannot get new replacements for originals.

I’ve just found the following on the government website. It explains how to certify a copy of the LPA. From what I’ve read you can make a certified copy and therefore keep the original safe but only the donor. Unless of course I’ve read it wrong which is highly possible !!

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I’ve just found the following on the government website. It explains how to certify a copy of the LPA. From what I’ve read you can make a certified copy and therefore keep the original safe but only the donor. Unless of course I’ve read it wrong which is highly possible !!

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify

I put a reply to this on another thread - but basically, it isnt you that can make a certified copy, it has to be done by the donor - ie the person with dementia and only if they still have capacity.

I have also seen a thread by someone whose PWD still had capacity and they did this, but it was not accepted by some official bodies.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
I put a reply to this on another thread - but basically, it isnt you that can make a certified copy, it has to be done by the donor - ie the person with dementia and only if they still have capacity.

I have also seen a thread by someone whose PWD still had capacity and they did this, but it was not accepted by some official bodies.

My mother no longer has capacity so it’s not possible for her to certify copies. I am going to ring up Monday and ask if I can buy copies. I know I can get a replacement if I lose the original but I’m hoping I can buy a certified copy I definitely don’t want to send off the original.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Hi,

I'm just about to send in an Attendance Allowance application. I hold both a Financial and Property, and a Health and Welfare LPA. Which of these do I need to send in with the application ? Both ??

And how long does it take for the LPAs to be returned, if I send in the originals ?

Thanks,
kch

Do not under any circumstances ever let the original out of your possession. I have sent out about ten copies over the past few years, and only had half of them back. Only last week I received compensation from a financial institution who 'accidentally' shredded the solicitor-certified copy I sent. If that had been the original... that would have been that. My mother's solicitor has kept the original and charges £25 for each certified copy.

I applied for AA on my mother's behalf as she no longer had the capacity to sign. I only have financial LPA, so that is what I sent. The DWP were pretty speedy, they returned it within about ten days. But as you will be sending a certified copy, speed won't be vital.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother no longer has capacity so it’s not possible for her to certify copies. I am going to ring up Monday and ask if I can buy copies. I know I can get a replacement if I lose the original but I’m hoping I can buy a certified copy I definitely don’t want to send off the original.
A solicitor certified the copies of the LPA I had for mother-in-law, charged £20 for 3 copies. They were all accepted by the various institutions

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The OPG will not do certified copies for you. They might have done in the past but they no longer do. You need to get a solicitor to do this. If you can't go out, could a friend go for you?

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I just got a copy done in local library, but OH had signed the form too and they accepted it. Never got it back though!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@kch
This thread has diversified.
If the PWD can sign no need to send in proof of LPA
If they can't sign visit a Jobcentre Plus and ask them to make a free certified copy.

Additionally please get help from either AgeUK or CAB when filling in the application, they know all the correct words and phrases to use and will advise you to fill in details of a bad day, not a good day.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
A solicitor certified the copies of the LPA I had for mother-in-law, charged £20 for 3 copies. They were all accepted by the various institutions

God this is all so complicated! Thanks I will ring a solicitor tomorrow from my on suite bathroom where I have to hide to make my calls !

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
The OPG will not do certified copies for you. They might have done in the past but they no longer do. You need to get a solicitor to do this. If you can't go out, could a friend go for you?
Thank you I will ring around tomorrow. I’m terrified to let the original out of my sight!

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
@kch
This thread has diversified.
If the PWD can sign no need to send in proof of LPA
If they can't sign visit a Jobcentre Plus and ask them to make a free certified copy.

Additionally please get help from either AgeUK or CAB when filling in the application, they know all the correct words and phrases to use and will advise you to fill in details of a bad day, not a good day.

They asked me for it anyway.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I only sent a Certified copy of the Financial LPA when asking for The Banjoman’s official correspondence to be sent to me, we didn’t have LPAs in place when first claiming Attendance Allowance and I signed that for him i’m sure, although thinking about it maybe I took it to him to sign. (A Social Worker friend filled it out with my input).

The originals of both LPAs are held by his Solicitor and I have one Certified Copy of Health & Welfare which I take with me whenever he has been admitted to hospital and two for Finance, one to keep and one to post to whoever asks for it. I always ask for it to be returned a.s.a.p. because I need to send it to another agency, that seems to have worked so far!