Financial assessment

Buzzbee

Sep 17, 2019
hi,
So my dad has been in a care home for the last 3 years, time is coming to the point that the money will soon be out so I was trying to get myself organised and could do with some advice if possible? I understand a care assessment and a financial assessment has to take place, the care assessment I’m not too worried about as he is bed bound and doubly incontenent and I assume they go to his care home and sort that out? The main worry is the financial assessment, he has no savings or estate as his house was sold to fund the care, everything he has is in his bank account so I assume I just give them some bank statements? How many months is normal to take? Anything else they are likely to ask? Also do I wait for the money to go below £23000 or £14000? If I contact when it gets to £23000 do I then have to redo all the assessments when it gets below £14000? So sorry for all the questions but I’d much rather be prepared!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Buzzbee
a warm welcome to DTP

I think you're wise to contact the LA for a financial assessment before your dad's savings reach the upper threshold as arrangements the LA will need to make will take some time ... I should think they'll check back over a few months and may want information regarding the house sale

as you say your dad's finances are straight forward, I doubt you'll have any problems

you may want to have a chat with the manager of the care home to be sure they will accept your dad continuing at LA funded rates rather than as self-funding ... he's been with them 3 years already so probably there's no problem with the change in payment of fees

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There is no standard for the length of time the LA will require archival info, assume 6 months as minimum.

When, at current rate of expenditure, only 6 months are left before his assets reach £23250 (correct for England, other parts of the UK differ) alert the LA. Even then this might not give them time to get their act together.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
he has no savings or estate as his house was sold to fund the care, everything he has is in his bank account so I assume I just give them some bank statements? How many months is normal to take? Anything else they are likely to ask?
When you get a date for the financial assessment they will write and let you know what paperwork they want and how far back they want to go. Its usually about 6 months, but LAs vary from place to place.