Adjusting, doors and sausage rolls!

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Last week I posted how I was feeling a little overwhelmed with how things were going to change - yet today I am doing the MIL's shopping (PWD) and my OH and I were discussing in the middle of the shop what the MIL likes but more to the point what she can "see". Its not a packet of biscuits, its whats in the packet that I meant - so we bought some high protein bars with see through packets - I took these out of the box and into her cupboard of "goodies" so she can "see" them.

So yes we are "adapting" very quickly, also the last few weeks I have suggested to the MIL to change her clothes, have a shower and today I did the same but I stayed with her on the pretence of stroking the cat to make sure she got her clothes out for tomorrow, its my cat but she has adopted it she lives with us and the cat loves the attention - such a tart!) Anyway I could see her go to her cupboard to get out some clothes for tomorrow and she stopped - and I knew having read things on this forum that doors are an issue - she has 3 sets of doors to choose from! So I went and opened the door of one cupboard and suggested clothes for the next day - surprisingly to me she went to her underwear draw and she said and "I am keeping these for when I have to go into the home in a bit when you go on holiday".

This is relating to going into respite care next month which we have not said anything about since the SW came about a month ago. I said to the MIL, well its someone else that will be telling you what to do instead of me annoying you when you go to help us to have a holiday, trying to make light of things for her - I know she said I am not looking forward to it but at least I know I will be coming back home and you will be here again.

I nearly tripped over my halo on the way out!

PS for those who have read about the sausage rolls in her cupboard - they have been removed under duress!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My Mum last week sung my praises at a Doctors appointment- I wasn’t there to hear it ( laid up with DVT, brought on by excess travel to & fro aged mothers & the hideous holiday traffic jams Devon & Cornwall have during holiday season!) but my husband tells me she was my biggest fan!
Umm... checking husband for heatstroke/ delusion etc

It just gets you sometimes when the PWD says something nice; but don’t worry it’s not long until we are back on more familiar territory.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
My Mum last week sung my praises at a Doctors appointment- I wasn’t there to hear it ( laid up with DVT, brought on by excess travel to & fro aged mothers & the hideous holiday traffic jams Devon & Cornwall have during holiday season!) but my husband tells me she was my biggest fan!
Umm... checking husband for heatstroke/ delusion etc

It just gets you sometimes when the PWD says something nice; but don’t worry it’s not long until we are back on more familiar territory.

Ah well apologies you will have one more car on your roads then next month as Devon is on the list for part of holiday! You think you have traffic issues, try living in the Channel Islands! Hope you are feeling better though. Any recommendations where to visit - based in Polperro?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ah well apologies you will have one more car on your roads then next month as Devon is on the list for part of holiday! .................. Any recommendations where to visit - based in Polperro?
Slightly confused - Polperro is in Cornwall - its where my FIL was born.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Ah well apologies you will have one more car on your roads then next month as Devon is on the list for part of holiday! You think you have traffic issues, try living in the Channel Islands! Hope you are feeling better though. Any recommendations where to visit - based in Polperro?

St Michaels Mount, pop into Agapanthus tea rooms for an amazing view over Mounts bay & fab food.Mousehole (childhood!) is small but lovely & check out the Mermaid of Zennor in the church at Zennor. Lovely coast road drive between St Just & St Ives, the views are stunning! Newlyn meadery or Trewelard Meadery ( my fav) for a meal one evening. Glass of mead & lemonade & must! Perranporth beach at low tide lovely walks. Honestly you can’t go wrong this time of year. The Lost Gardens of Helligan, beautiful & inspiring. Pandora inn favourite place to eat it’s breathtaking beautiful & excellent view of the river.
Enjoy
Xxx

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
St Michaels Mount, pop into Agapanthus tea rooms for an amazing view over Mounts bay & fab food.Mousehole (childhood!) is small but lovely & check out the Mermaid of Zennor in the church at Zennor. Lovely coast road drive between St Just & St Ives, the views are stunning! Newlyn meadery or Trewelard Meadery ( my fav) for a meal one evening. Glass of mead & lemonade & must! Perranporth beach at low tide lovely walks. Honestly you can’t go wrong this time of year. The Lost Gardens of Helligan, beautiful & inspiring. Pandora inn favourite place to eat it’s breathtaking beautiful & excellent view of the river.
Enjoy
Xxx

Pandora Inn is on the list already - went there with my sister once and promised to take the OH there - we stayed in a cottage just along the bank from it where you have to walk over the beach to get to the car! But the rest sounds good and want to go to St Ives for sure - thanks