Peer support for children of those diagnosed with early onset

123is321

Jan 5, 2015
Liverpool
Hi all,

I unfortunately lost my dad at the age of 23 on Christmas day last year. It's been a hugely long, emotional journey that looking back now, I'm surprised with how I coped. I've felt all the feelings associated with early onset Alzheimer's and I'm going through the grieving process.

I thought I could be helpful to people who are in a similar situation to where I've been. It's a crappy situation to be in and I know it can feel incredibly draining and it's hard to see a way out. x

Last edited by a moderator:

Baby Sister

Sep 12, 2019
Hi all,

I unfortunately lost my dad at the age of 23 on Christmas day last year. It's been a hugely long, emotional journey that looking back now, I'm surprised with how I coped. I've felt all the feelings associated with early onset Alzheimer's and I'm going through the grieving process.

I thought I could be helpful to people who are in a similar situation to where I've been. It's a crappy situation to be in and I know it can feel incredibly draining and it's hard to see a way out. x

Baby Sister

Sep 12, 2019
Hi there. My husband who is 70 and 17 years older than me has Alzheimers. We have a son aged 17 and he's is suffering the emotional difficulty of all this. Might be good for him to chat here...

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Baby Sister
a warm welcome to DTP
I hope both you and your son find the forums helpful and supportive
there's a lot of useful information here and on the main AS site, and plenty of understanding members to share experiences with

if he's at school or college, maybe there's a counsellor or pastoral leader he could chat with, so he knows they are aware of the situation

Sodon321

Sep 24, 2019
Hi all,

Hi,

I am really sorry to hear of the loss of your dad, thank you for offering to help others.

My mother is 57 and although isnt in the final stages yet in the last year we have seen quite a big decline. She has PCA Alzheimers which effects her eyesight, she is partially blind and to be honest i think she can see alot less then she will let on.

I try my hardest to take her out when I can as she loves music and dancing, it always makes me so happy to see.

Is there any advice you can give that maybe you wish you did for your dad? Its a constant worry for me that there is more i can do, if i could give up work and look after her full time i would but my bills wouldnt get paid!

My step dad is struggling alot as looks after her full time and although she isnt even in final stages yet its like he has already given up. Me and my sister sometimes feel he isnt doing the best he can, but we know how difficult it is for us as our mother but he is also loosing his wife.

I always feel at a loss and that she isnt having the best life that she should, she was such a strong and outgoing person it breaks my heart how helpless she is now.

Hoots

Apr 20, 2019
So sorry to hear this :( I lost my Dad to cancer when I was 25 a few years back. He was 55. Now at the age of 55 my mum has been diagnosed with early onset. She’s been having memory issues for a while and we put it down to depression/grief but after having seizures in Feb this year she was diagnosed in June. This is an awful disease. I genuinely think it’s harder watching my mum go through this and deteriorate than it was watching my Dad. It’s all incredibly overwhelming and **** isn’t it :(

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EileenSp