'HMRC'

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

Just warning you that 'HMRC' phoned today and told me that HMRC had filed a law suit against me. They advised me to press 1 to speak to a 'police officer' I hung up and waited for a few minutes before dialling my special code to get rid of them altogether.

Don't fall for this

MaNaAk

Champers

Jan 3, 2019
These scammers really are scumbags aren’t they? Our parent’s generation all get very anxious about owing money to anybody and I know my mother and MIL would go into meltdown if they received a call from ‘HMRC’ The only comfort we’ve got from our respective mothers’ dementia is neither of them would be capable of disclosing any sensitive bank details or have a clue where their bank cards are.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad used leave me to answer the phone but failing this before his Alzheimers became severe he was good at telling them where to go. He used to do this with people who came to the door to talk about religion and one occasion he got into a heated debate. I tried to stop it but the expression on his face told me not to interfere because he was having too much fun. Also we never saw these people again.

MaNaAk

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I tried to stop it but the expression on his face told me not to interfere because he was having too much fun.

That made me laugh.

My son got really worried about a phone call about the computer not working, a year or so ago - he was 13. 17 year old dau explained it to him, showed him all the posts about it by teenagers and he was desperate for them to phone back and to be able to string them along.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
As my mum can still use her bank card, I've scratched off the security number from the back so she can't use the card to buy anything over the phone.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
My husband thinks he speaks good Spanish so if he thinks it's a scammer he starts asking the caller if they speak Spanish. Eventually they hang up but even if they were a native Spanish speaker, I don't think they would have a clue what he was saying.

I had a call from someone claiming to be an agent from the FBI. Who? The FBI. From USA? Yes of course. I shrieked with laughter at the thought so he hung up.

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
My father gives all the scammers MY details as he doesn't have access to his bank at all. "YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO MY DAUGHTER"

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I was a little surprised when someone phoned yesterday, asking to speak to Mr or Mrs A.
OH has been dead for four years and unable to have a phone conversation for many years before that. I haven’t used that particular form of my name for even longer. So where and when did scammers get that non-info?

CardiffGirlInEssex

Oct 6, 2018
We recently purchased a call screening phone which forces any caller not in the device phone book to announce themselves and wait. This has reduced nuisance and scam calls to zero. My parents have had similar for just over one year which gives me peace of mind, knowing my mum (PWD) can no longer give information that she shouldn’t to the scumbags who prey on the vulnerable in this way.

These phones are not hugely expensive, you do have to have the caller ID service with your phone provider. But definitely worth considering if your PWD is troubled with scam and nuisance calls.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Thanks for the alert on this, my brother (who does not have dementia) fell for a similar scam and it was only when he asked my hubby to run him to the building society to get the money out that we
found out and were able to stop it.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone!

I am resurrecting this thread again because of another scam that I need to make you all aware of. Today I had a call from 'BT' saying that my internet will be disconnected in twenty-four hours (infact the first call was yesterday and I am here today!) and if I press one I will be disconnected and if I press two I won't. I put the receiver down and got rid of them with my special dialling code.
These people will sound foreign or use a machine and they obviously use different telephones.

MaNaAk

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mother had the BT one and got in a right panic. She used to work for BT so didn't actually do anything, but did call me. I assured her it was a scam but phoned BT to check anyway. They confirmed. It was indeed a scam.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I installed a call blocker at mums from True Call. It's the only one I could find that did not require my mother to press any buttons to receive or reject a call after a caller announces themselves. It only allows people on the trusted list ( I had to input all these numbers). Everyone else hears a message from me telling them to call my mobile, which I then read out, if they wish to speak to mum. No other calls get through.

In the 9 months since I installed it, no one has phoned me asking for mum. It was quit expensive but well worth it.

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
I'm with Sky and got them to put on 'talk shield' as my mum was terrible for giving her card details to scammers.
When someone phones now it's a recorded message and they have to state their name, then we get the message and press a number to accept or decline. I'm able to add numbers via my account online that get straight through and block others.

It's been a godsend as the scammers seem to just hang up.

Might want to ask if your provider does similar.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Thankyou everyone and Louise I had a message on Facebook from my supplier about additional protection which I am looking into. I just want to warn Talking Point of any scams because we all have enough to deal with without these scumbags.

MaNaAk