A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Those deserts look fab (I'm a veggie so not so keen on the savoury stuff). I guess you find cooking relaxing? My son is an amazing cook (I keep on meaning to enter him for MasterChef) and when he lived at home with us he insisted on cooking every night, even though I was home from work about three hours before him. It's a treat when he come home he does things like poached egg on home made soda bread, home made hollandaise sauce and steamed asparagus as a quick lunch!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Right, OK! All round to Simons for dinner tonight!!!!!
t19119.gif
You are always welcome to dine with me @canary :)

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I was looking back today at how things have changed, before dad died I had always wanted to enter Masterchef, and decided to go for it and started practising, here are some of the things mum has enjoyed over the last 4 yearsView attachment 61384 View attachment 61385 View attachment 61386 View attachment 61387 View attachment 61388View attachment 61390 View attachment 61389

I never got to enter Masterchef in the end, but the journey cooking at home was worth it, mum has eaten well and on some days my sanity has been preserved
My go to sanity saver a roast dinner!!!
Loved cooking cakes but now no children at home I dare not!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Those deserts look fab (I'm a veggie so not so keen on the savoury stuff). I guess you find cooking relaxing? My son is an amazing cook (I keep on meaning to enter him for MasterChef) and when he lived at home with us he insisted on cooking every night, even though I was home from work about three hours before him. It's a treat when he come home he does things like poached egg on home made soda bread, home made hollandaise sauce and steamed asparagus as a quick lunch!

I love a fresh hollandaise, can't beat it especially on fish and eggs. You should push your son to think about doing more with his talents, often we look in the wrong direction ;)

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Made new sandwich today as on healthy eating kick
Whole meal bread on one piece spread Brinjal pickle, on the other cottage cheese ( 3 tablespoons!) cucumber slices, nectarine slices, fresh coriander leaves & some fresh ground black pepper. When you put together carefully slice. Even OH ate it all

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@DesperateofDevon , That sounds a good sandwich, and an idea I might nick. I was looking after my mother in law last week and she praised my sandwiches which were hummus, salad and olives. Apparently my BiL who is her main carer makes sandwiches that fall apart.
@Palerider. My husband was always trying to persuade our son to become a chef but he wasn't keen, preferring to keep it as a hobby. He's an industrial chemist, and I think his knowledge of chemistry helps when deciding what ingredients to use. Don't know if your sort of scientific training comes in useful for your cookery too

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
@DesperateofDevon , That sounds a good sandwich, and an idea I might nick. I was looking after my mother in law last week and she praised my sandwiches which were hummus, salad and olives. Apparently my BiL who is her main carer makes sandwiches that fall apart.
@Palerider. My husband was always trying to persuade our son to become a chef but he wasn't keen, preferring to keep it as a hobby. He's an industrial chemist, and I think his knowledge of chemistry helps when deciding what ingredients to use. Don't know if your sort of scientific training comes in useful for your cookery too
Psychology, I suppose I can make it appealing to look at the food- with the Colour & texture! But if I’m honest I’m just a glutton. I love food! Hence why I don’t make puddings anymore except on special occasions! No self control at all!!!
I have to admit I’m not into fancy cuisine but love rustic style eating & authentic seasonal flavours not a high dining girl. Cheap date really as I get frustrated if I go out & end up thinking I could have done that better! So don’t eat out that often as a consequence!!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

I think people shy away from their talents unfortunately. I was always damn good at practical chemistry at school...always got the results bang on. Never forget fractionating crude oil and getting every element of it in the lab but that was my only vice at chemistry, I was always utterly **** at theory. I excelled in physics, thats how I ended up doing my first degree in engineering but I can't say it added to my cookery at all. The reality is that I cooked from about the age of 8 and carried on from there. Dad used to take me on his travels round France and Italy and he'd always find the places where locals ate. But mum was my biggest inspiration and she would always let me do new things, my grandfather was a confectioner and in the war was a chef in the RAF...by all accounts he was damn good, and thats where alot of my cooking began on the back of grandads recipes.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I think people shy away from their talents unfortunately. I was always damn good at practical chemistry at school...always got the results bang on. Never forget fractionating crude oil and getting every element of it in the lab but that was my only vice at chemistry, I was always utterly **** at theory. I excelled in physics, thats how I ended up doing my first degree in engineering but I can't say it added to my cookery at all. The reality is that I cooked from about the age of 8 and carried on from there. Dad used to take me on his travels round France and Italy and he'd always find the places where locals ate. But mum was my biggest inspiration and she would always let me do new things, my grandfather was a confectioner and in the war was a chef in the RAF...by all accounts he was damn good, and thats where alot of my cooking began on the back of grandads recipes.
Wow that’s a culinary history to be proud of! Wonder if genetics plays a part in cooking as I can testify nurture doesn’t. Biological Mum fab experimental cook, & my paternal grandparents apparently were the local bakers! Adoptive mother not interested in cooking - minimal effort & no encouragement as a child to bake. Both my children love cooking & my OH loves eating!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Roast Turkey crown today - love the fact I can freeze left overs, have sandwiches, salads etc. Lazy meals really but I do like turkey & not forgetting the cranberry sauce!
Yummy!!

I like turkey but its not my fave. I have a list I'm afraid, first up is roast beef, then roast chicken (mums fave), roast pork, roast lamb, roast goose, roast pheasant and last but not least guinea fowel (pan roasted) and then pidgeon which I love pan roasted. I once ate roast Puffin, but I have to say it was beyond anything like the others served in a rye sauce when I visited the Faroe Islands.....never again!! Not the Faroe's I'd go there again but the eating of Puffin -blah

Edited: I was just thinking the worse meal I ever had was in mainland Greece with my friend Rhi who has an apartment out there, coming down of the moutnains she decided to stop at a Taverna (I told her not to) for a meal. Rhi walked in and asked what the menu was, the reply boiled goat. I said don't you dare and she did, we sat and had boiled goat served.....I can only say the poor animal died in vain. Boiled goat is not for the faint hearted that is all I will say

Last edited:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I'm back to work tomorrow but I wanted to share something that happened yesterday with mum. We had come in from shopping and mum started her hyper mode getting very flustered and confused and I lost my patience with her. Mum is advancing Alzheimer's, but in the moment I lost my patience with her, she turned to me and said 'I can't help it'

-food for thought. To me this says she has an awareness that go's beyond what I had assumed before.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sometimes there`s a flash of insight. It keeps us on our toes because we never know when it will happen.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I love baking and often makes cakes, I have one slice "to test it" then give the rest away. I made a banana and walnut cake today to use up some manky bananas so half went in freezer for my Bookckub meeting next week and mum is getting a couple of slices tomorrow. My cakes tend to be wholesome and hearty, not fancy or decorated! I made a cake using sweet potato at weekend which went down very well at a craft workshop I went to!

Mum used to bake a lot as well but sadly cannot manage it anymore so it's nice to repay her years of tasty cakes by making some for her. I'm in the WI as well so my cakes are always welcome there.

So, Simon, if you invite me for dinner, I'll bring the cakes!

Anne

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Ok @Lynmax we have the cake, I’m up for the roast ( I’ve done several options of cuts on the before as OH has a large extended family including vegetarian option!)
So wine & other courses....anyone?

Except for boiled goat @Palerider !!!! No offence

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Ok @Lynmax we have the cake, I’m up for the roast ( I’ve done several options of cuts on the before as OH has a large extended family including vegetarian option!)
So wine & other courses....anyone?

Except for boiled goat @Palerider !!!! No offence

I would strongly advise against the eating of boiled goat!

I do miss a big roast joint, the kind we used to do when family were together....er roast rib of beef??

Status
Not open for further replies.