Showering!

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
So today it’s taken tears (mine!) to get OH to have a shower. First in 3 weeks.
What will it take next time??
When I suggest he has a shower he just says ‘why?’
He won’t accept help, I’m at a loss to know what to do.
He just doesn’t think there is anything wrong with him.
Today he watched the Great North Run on TV, he used to run marathons and I asked him if he wished he was there, he said yes, he would get back to running one day! Cricky! It’s all he can do to shuffle round Tesco leaning on the trolley!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Today he watched the Great North Run on TV, he used to run marathons and I asked him if he wished he was there, he said yes, he would get back to running one day! Cricky! It’s all he can do to shuffle round Tesco leaning on the trolley!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.Dad goes to a care home for a bath once a month....Very much against the grain for him..He has a catheter and if it is not cleaned properly ,he will get an infection.Plus,it smells!..But he has a strip wash with carers every morning.Still not the same though...He is not bothered if he never has one again..He can only walk with 8steps with a gutter frame so no chance of him doing any long walks.:(

Cobber

Sep 13, 2016
Gave up on showering mum many months,years ago. Screamed the place down, too upsetting for her and me. She has a strip wash by carers and still grumbles she is wet but does the job. She does not move much and hence does not need much more. I have learnt which battles to fight for my own sanity showering is far down on list. Basic hygiene is priority.
Shampoo hair every 6 weeks when hairdressing comes, same screaming, so gave up, other times use shower caps to freshen.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
LOL mine watched the GNR on TV too, he asked me if son was running in it!o_O
He was a keen runner though never did marathons, and son is a good runner too, but hasn't gone beyond half marathon. I'd certainly have been watching TV too had he been in the GNR!!;)

Unfortunately as is usually the case nowadays he lost interest in the program quickly, and he used to love watching most sport. Only football still works its magic.

pixie2

Jul 21, 2018
Gave up on showering mum many months,years ago. Screamed the place down, too upsetting for her and me. She has a strip wash by carers and still grumbles she is wet but does the job. She does not move much and hence does not need much more. I have learnt which battles to fight for my own sanity showering is far down on list. Basic hygiene is priority.
Shampoo hair every 6 weeks when hairdressing comes, same screaming, so gave up, other times use shower caps to freshen.
Exactly same here although a bit fed up that care home doesn't seem bothered

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
I am not sure if this helps, But it works for us.

We were both shower people, but that just got to be such a pain. So about 3 or 4 years ago, I started drawing a bath every morning. I invite him in to talk to me and then when I am getting out, I say oh its a shame to waste all this lovely water. Would you like a bath. He has never turned me down. During the height of the hot summer, I did it twice a day.

My husband is advanced in the disease, but still fairly physically fit. I do not know how I will handle it if the bathtub becomes an obstacle. But I will not project into the future, just deal with today and he can and will get in the bath.

For sometime now I have helped him wash too. Thanks to Talking Point, I used one of those net thingies and get it all sudsy and then wash him.
I cannot bear the thought of him being smelly and dirty.
Luckily he is cooperating, it is our routine.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @Vic10

Bath times (once a week) used to be like world war 3, as my wife would refuse to sit down in the bath and then not want to get out. She also hated getting water on her face and head.

I purchased a plastic bath "bench" which she initially sat on but then refused that too.

So as a last resort, I started getting her to stand in the bath (we have a shower over the bath with a shower curtain) and I got in with her. I would start by washing her feet and working my way up. After a few hit and miss attempts, she seemed to get used to it so I was eventually able to shower her, plus wash her hair.

The rest of the week I just gave her a strip wash, which she didn't seem to mind.

She is sadly now in temporary care, soon to become full time, once the LA processes have trudged along and we can find a CH with a vacancy.

Good luck.
Phil