Hello again. :(

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It sounds as if you have lots of things falling into place @LadyA. Good news about the improvement in continence.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It looks as if things aren`t going to be as bad as you feared @LadyA. Fingers crossed they will continue to improve.

I do hope you will be able to get some help for your mum. It will make it easier for you.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It sounds as if you have lots of things falling into place @LadyA. Good news about the improvement in continence.
It is, Izzy, but also quite jarring. If it was just a low level, ongoing, UTI that was causing it, then why was it not spotted from one of the very regular samples she hands in at the urology clinics? Would make you wonder why she bothers!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It is, Izzy, but also quite jarring. If it was just a low level, ongoing, UTI that was causing it, then why was it not spotted from one of the very regular samples she hands in at the urology clinics? Would make you wonder why she bothers!

Oh I know. Nothing is easy. Thinking of you. X

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Mum's gone to a nursing home for rehab. She's doing so much better, it's just amazing! Suddenly, after the weekend, it was as if someone had switched her light back on! Her eyes were bright, she was very much more aware, and had suddenly gained confidence moving around with the walking frame. She really looked like herself again. And her determination was back, so she was very diligently practising her walking, standing, etc. And she accepted going for the rehab until her "boot" comes off like a lamb, saying "I'm just looking at it as another step toward going home."
We're going to arrange a stairlift for her. There is a Grant available, but sooo many hoops to jump through, and such a long waiting time before she could get the lift installed, it would have been around Christmas at the earliest! So, the family are contributing to the cost, and we're hoping it can be installed either before she gets home, or shortly after.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
That is excellent news @LadyA. Good on you all for having the stairlift installed before your mother gets home. Would it be possible to apply for the grant and simply go ahead? At least you would be reimbursed, even if it would take a while.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
N
That is excellent news @LadyA. Good on you all for having the stairlift installed before your mother gets home. Would it be possible to apply for the grant and simply go ahead? At least you would be reimbursed, even if it would take a while.
No, you can't go ahead with the work until you get written approval from the council. At the moment, there's a processing time of roughly 12 weeks - and they have a sort of hierarchy of needs. Not being able to access your bedroom or bathroom is, apparently, not very important!

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Shop around for a price. I found a smaller local firm that charged me £1000 , five years ago. Then two years ago my mil got one for the same price. We bought a reconditioned model and pay a monthly maintenance fee of £15 , we have had a lot replaced on it, all for this fee.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Shop around for a price. I found a smaller local firm that charged me £1000 , five years ago. Then two years ago my mil got one for the same price. We bought a reconditioned model and pay a monthly maintenance fee of £15 , we have had a lot replaced on it, all for this fee.
Things are a lot more expensive here! They start at about €1,500 + 23% VAT, but the VAT can be reclaimed.
Mum's doing great in the rehab place. They don't allow any slackers, as regards physiotherapy, and it's a much more social environment, going to the dining room for meals, etc. The staff are just amazing too. Mum hadn't had a shower or had her feet washed in the hospital, just a basin of water and a face cloth. Yesterday, one of the staff brought a basin of hot water to soak mum's feet, and came back twice in the space of half an hour, to top up the hot water! They were going to get the chiropodist to come to her later.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Being in the Midlands has its benefits. Great news that your mum has been receiving kind treatment. Feet are a bugbear for most elderly people.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Things are a lot more expensive here! They start at about €1,500 + 23% VAT, but the VAT can be reclaimed.
Mum's doing great in the rehab place. They don't allow any slackers, as regards physiotherapy, and it's a much more social environment, going to the dining room for meals, etc. The staff are just amazing too. Mum hadn't had a shower or had her feet washed in the hospital, just a basin of water and a face cloth. Yesterday, one of the staff brought a basin of hot water to soak mum's feet, and came back twice in the space of half an hour, to top up the hot water! They were going to get the chiropodist to come to her later.
I hope that your Mum doesn’t get another UTI, have my Mum finally on prophylactic antibiotics & fingers crossed that this will help stop the on off UTI situation. It’s worth asking for if she gets another in a 3-6 month period

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I hope that your Mum doesn’t get another UTI, have my Mum finally on prophylactic antibiotics & fingers crossed that this will help stop the on off UTI situation. It’s worth asking for if she gets another in a 3-6 month period
Oh, believe me, words are going to be had with her urologist! She's been peeing in bottles very regularly for at least a couple of years, handing in sample after sample. So I don't know how this infection was missed for so long!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Oh, believe me, words are going to be had with her urologist! She's been peeing in bottles very regularly for at least a couple of years, handing in sample after sample. So I don't know how this infection was missed for so long!
I battled for 18 months to get my Mum on prophylactics! Honestly I know more about some aspects of medicine than I ever wanted to ..... you just need to find someone to take you seriously that’s the difficult part!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I battled for 18 months to get my Mum on prophylactics! Honestly I know more about some aspects of medicine than I ever wanted to ..... you just need to find someone to take you seriously that’s the difficult part!
Well, mum was on prophylactics for a while. However, it was found that it was causing her kidney function to deteriorate, and she was told she'd be facing dialysis if that continued. Once she was taken off the daily antibiotic, her kidney function improved.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Well, mum was on prophylactics for a while. However, it was found that it was causing her kidney function to deteriorate, and she was told she'd be facing dialysis if that continued. Once she was taken off the daily antibiotic, her kidney function improved.
Trimethoprim is a good alternative to antibiotics, it doesn’t usually affect kidney function & is used to knock out folic acid for a 12 hour period - this stopping bacterial growth.
My son had a kidney condition from in utero so lots of experience of urine infections etcas he was on it for 7 years - he’s now 6 foot 2 inches of strapping young man ( IN AUSTRALIA!!)
Hope that Trimethoprim might be an option